Dual citizenship with different last name

dante73

Registered Users (C)
I recently finished my citizenship process. I did a name change, which in my case was to drop a second last name (some background: it is customary in my country of origin to have two last names: the father's followed by the mother's).

In the U.S. I only had one last name in all my docs (driver license, cc, school degrees, etc) but in my Greencard which had both. When I applied for citizenship I decided to go ahead and drop my second last name so that now everything matches.

I plan on using my US passport all the time except when I enter my country of birth (I will still show my US passport to exit and re-enter the U.S.). The passport from my country of birth still has the two last names (father's followed by mother's).

That is, everything in both passports matches (first name, middle name) except that the U.S. passport has only one last name (father's) while the other passport has two last name (father's and mother's).

Since most of the people on this forum have at least two passports, I guess there may be some in a similar situation?
what has been your experience?

Thank you for your input.

PD: It may be the case that this question is country specific.?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently finished my citizenship process. I did a name change, which in my case was to drop a second last name (some background: it is customary in my country of origin to have two last names: the father's followed by the mother's).

In the U.S. I only had one last name in all my docs (driver license, cc, school degrees, etc) but in my Greencard which had both. When I applied for citizenship I decided to go ahead and drop my second last name so that now everything matches.

I plan on using my US passport all the time except when I enter my country of birth (I will still show my US passport to exit and re-enter the U.S.). The passport from my country of birth still has the two last names (father's followed by mother's).

That is, everything in both passports matches (first name, middle name) except that the U.S. passport has only one last name (father's) while the other passport has two last name (father's and mother's).

Since most of the people on this forum have at least two passports, I guess there may be some in a similar situation?

Does not look like a big problem to me. Is it possible for you to change your name in your original country so that it matches your name in your US documents? If that's possible I would do that so that you have peace of mind.

Does not look like a big problem to me. Is it possible for you to change your name in your original country so that it matches your name in your US documents? If that's possible I would do that so that you have peace of mind.

I have tried that. Unfortunately my consulate will not process the name change. So it seems I will be stuck with a longer name on the passport from my country of birth. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I have tried that. Unfortunately my consulate will not process the name change. So it seems I will be stuck with a longer name on the passport from my country of birth. Anyone else in a similar situation?
I have two very different names on my US and non-US passports. It does not inconvenience me that much except when I have to buy airline tickets flying to the USA. If I buy tickets on my US name from my birth country, its border agents always ask me about my US citizenship and ask me to show my US passport. It just complicates the situation somewhat, but otherwise, it has been fine. In the USA, I use exclusively my new name with the exception of one instance where I had to notarise a document for my birth country consulate, so I had to present my non-US passport to a notary because it was the only identification document that would have my old name.

You dropped which last name, CCCC or DDDD?

Name on US passport = AAAA BBBB CCCC or AAAA BBBB DDDD?
Name on non-US passport = AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD

If you have DDDD on both, I really see no issue here.

Actually I dropped the second last name (DDDD)

That is
Name on US passport = AAAA BBBB CCCC

So I have CCCC on both, any thoughts?

You dropped which last name, CCCC or DDDD?

Name on US passport = AAAA BBBB CCCC or AAAA BBBB DDDD?

If you have DDDD on both, I really see no issue here.

You should still be fine. Just be ready to explain to USCIS, if ever aksed, about the missing DDDD name.

Actually I dropped the second last name (DDDD)

That is
Name on US passport = AAAA BBBB CCCC

So I have CCCC on both, any thoughts?