Dual Citizen - Want Philippines passport rather than US. Possible?

flipguy

I'm a dual citizen of the US and Philippines. I was born in PH on a military installation. I had a US passport when I was a child, however that is long expired and I wish to go back and live in the Philippines for the remainder of my life. I do not wish to acquire a US passport to travel. I want to acquire a Philippines passport. Can I just go to the PH consulate in LA or Miama and bring my birth cert as well as US social and apply for one? This shouldn't be a problem right?

I know I may never be able to go back to the US, and frankly, I'm done with the US. With all of it's Fluoride water, GMOs, police brutality, police state. Who would want to live here? But enough about my political views, can what I ask be done?

So what's the problem? You are a Philippine citizen; you can get a Philippine passport any time. I am not sure what documents you need.

You are also a U.S. citizen. By U.S. law, you need a U.S. passport to enter and leave the U.S.. But they don't check on leaving so if you don't want to get one it will also probably be okay.

Note that as a U.S. citizen you need to file U.S. tax returns no matter where you live.

You stated, "But they don't check on leaving so if you don't want to get one it will also probably be okay."

Do you mean they don't check for "a passport" when leaving the US so a passport isn't needed? Upon entry of the PH, would I be ok with just a birth cert to show proof if what you say above is true?

You stated, "But they don't check on leaving so if you don't want to get one it will also probably be okay."

Do you mean they don't check for "a passport" when leaving the US so a passport isn't needed? Upon entry of the PH, would I be ok with just a birth cert to show proof if what you say above is true?
No, the airline will want to see a passport. But you will have your Philippine passport (which you need to enter the Philippines anyway). I just meant that you may get away with not having a U.S. passport. (But it's not much hassle; just get it to save trouble later.)

I don't know what are the documentary requirements for applying for a Philippine passport, but to prove you have Philippine citizenship at birth, you will at least have to show that one of your parents had Philippine citizenship when you were born.

So basically I've never gone outside the country. They don't check passports departing the US, just when entering?

So basically I've never gone outside the country. They don't check passports departing the US, just when entering?
The U.S. government doesn't have exit checks. However, airlines (in every country) do check that you have proper documents to enter the destination country before they let you board (because they are liable to bring you back if you are refused entry).

I appreciate all the info newacct! I'll call the consulate tomorrow and see what I'll have to bring to LA as they require according to their site to be in person. I'll report back as this may be useful to others.