Dual Citizen - US Passport Application Overseas at US Embassy

nwctzn

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine just got his US citizenship last week. He became a dual citizen. He then left the US without a US passport with the intent to apply for his US passport at a US embassy overseas. Is that possible?

As far as I know, he had to leave the US with a US passport (even if he is a dual citizen) and that it is actually the law that you have to be in possession of a US passport when you leave the US (even if you are a dual citizen).

So will he be asked at the US embassy why and how he left the US without a US passport?

A friend of mine just got his US citizenship last week. He became a dual citizen. He then left the US without a US passport with the intent to apply for his US passport at a US embassy overseas. Is that possible?

As far as I know, he had to leave the US with a US passport (even if he is a dual citizen) and that it is actually the law that you have to be in possession of a US passport when you leave the US (even if you are a dual citizen).

So will he be asked at the US embassy why and how he left the US without a US passport?

Physically, it is very much possible, especially if his country of origin has visa waiver agreement with the USA.

If he is asked this question, the only option would be to tell the truth - he did not know about this requirement. It is not an excuse, but what can the embassy do? In the worst case, they still should be able to issue at least the emergency US passport to return to the USA.

Yes it's possible and very easy. The US govt. and airlines don't usually check for possession of a US passport when leaving the US, they only check that you have a passport (and visa if necessary) that allows you to enter the destination country (and transit countries, if applicable). Sometimes they also check if you have a document that allows you to be in the US legally, but they don't do that consistently, and lack of such documentation won't necessarily prevent you from leaving the US.

The embassy will issue the US passport if he presents the naturalization certificate and the necessary paperwork (he absolutely should NOT present his non-US passport to the US embassy!). However, he may be fined for leaving the US without a US passport or WHTI-compliant document, although this is seldom enforced.

Well I found this information but maybe it is not strictly enforced:

US passport requirements (22 CFR § 53)
Section 215(b) of the INA [8 USC § 1185(b)] requires, in general, that any US citizen who is either leaving or entering the US must be in possession of a valid US passport. This requirement applies even in the case of a dual citizen travelling between the US and his other country of citizenship.

§ 1185. TRAVEL CONTROL OF CITIZENS AND ALIENS
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/1185.html

Citizens:
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
The embassy will issue the US passport if he presents the naturalization certificate and the necessary paperwork (he absolutely should NOT present his non-US passport to the US embassy!).
Could you elaborate further? Holding multiple citizenships are not prohibited by the Dept of State, so the presence or absence of a foreign passport should not alarm the embassy staff unless it is known that the holder has been engaged in potentially expatriating acts. The mere presence of a non-US passport is not an issue. In addition, US embassies around the world accept non-US passports from US citizens as a proof of identity in case US passports are lost/unavailable.

Consider this case: the US embassy and consulates in Russian Federation are guarded by the Russian police. The police will not let you enter the embassy unless you present the proof of your legal presence in Russian Federation. This may either be a US passport with non-expired Russian visa or, in case of a dual citizenship, a Russian passport. It is a bit unusual situation, but it occurred to numerous people. Even complaining to the consul did not help.

c'mon, why don't you just quit lying and tell the folks you are the "friend of you" who recently became a US citizen and had questions about possessing US passport as a dual citizen? it's nothing you should be ashamed of and u ain't fooling nobody!

c'mon, why don't you just quit lying and tell the folks you are the "friend of you" who recently became a US citizen and had questions about possessing US passport as a dual citizen? it's nothing you should be ashamed of and u ain't fooling nobody!

Dear xxhwx,

I assume there are some rules on this forum you must be aware of. The following rules always apply both on this forum and in everyday life:

Rule 1: Don't accuse anybody!!!
Rule 2: Be polite!!!

Please check my timeline in my profile. I became naturalized in February 2011. I got my US passport right after my oath and I am currently in the US.
I am inquiring this for a friend who naturalized and became a dual citizen and left the US last week with his "old country" passport and his naturalization certificate.

Regards,
nwctzn

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Scrutiny by Security Officers at the US Embassy

With the way things are after 9/11 and even if he is a US Citizen, this action will bring scrutiny by Security Officials at the Embassy. Believe me, they know all the tricks and all the excuses and they will know if it is true what your friend is saying or not. And even if it is not true, they will let you walk away but they will tag you for anything out of the ordinary.

It is simply not logical what your friend did and it will bring scrutiny.-:cool:

Scrutiny by Security Officers at the US Embassy

With the way things are after 9/11 and even if he is a US Citizen, this action will bring scrutiny by Security Officials at the Embassy. Believe me, they know all the tricks and all the excuses and they will know if it is true what your friend is saying or not. And even if it is not true, they will let you walk away but they will tag you for anything out of the ordinary.

It is simply not logical what your friend did and it will bring scrutiny.- :cool: