• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Driving licence

Prismak

Hi all,

I didn't find this topic, but if I missed it, you are welcome to show me the link to the thread.

I thought that I could come (hopefully) to US with my green card and drive a car using an IDP and my EU driving license, but now I'm not sure about that because, actually, I will come to US as permanent resident, not as a temporary non-resident.

So, how is it supposed to work? Do I have to take an exam for getting a license in the state where I will move?
IDP is worth nothing?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I didn't find this topic, but if I missed it, you are welcome to show me the link to the thread.

I thought that I could come (hopefully) to US with my green card and drive a car using and IDP a my EU driving license, but I'm not sure about that because, actually, I will come to US as permanent resident, not a temporary non-resident.

So, how it is supposed to work? Do I have to take an exams for getting a license in the state where I will move?
IDP is worth nothing?

An IDP is never really worth much anyway, it’s just a translation of your home country license.

Yes you will have to get a new license. Each state has its own rules regarding the time you have to get it by, whether or not you need to take new written and behind-the-wheel tests (usually you do, there are a few countries that some states exempt) and even for some states if you need to attend classes or take lessons. You need to look on the DMV site of the state you’re headed for to get the specific information you’ll need.

For example New York: https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/drive-new-york-state
If you become a New York State resident, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days. If you have a valid driver license issued by another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you may be eligible to exchange it for a New York driver license (see Exchange an out-of-state license), or see other information about moving to New York. If your license was issued outside the U.S. or Canada, you must apply for a new original New York State driver license at a DMV office (see Get a driver license).

California: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/dl/dl_info#two500
If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. ....If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived.

As what @SusieQQQ said about getting a DL, I'm living in California with two other international driving licenses but had to take the written exam and the behind the wheels test to get my CA DL. It depends what state you're going too... I know Texas accepts French and German DL in the exchange but you'd have to investigate what state you're moving to and look it up from there.

Thanks for the detailed answers.

This is very annoying (also because my EU DL is car+motorcycle type).
From DMV sites it's not clear if I can use IDP before 30/10 days expires. But probably I couldn't have a car insurance in any case.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed answers.

This is very annoying (also because my EU DL is car+motorcycle type).
From DMV sites it's not clear if I can use IDP before 30/10 days expires. But probably I couldn't have a car insurance in any case.

Thanks!

Sorry it’s annoying, but this kind of thing happens when you emigrate. I’m sure you’d need a new license anywhere outside the EU you emigrated to. And remember your DL also becomes your primary form of ID here.

Yes you can use your home country license until you get a new DL. You don’t necessarily need an IDP, we never had one but then our home licenses are in English so we didn’t need translations of them. We got car insurance on our home country licenses before we got our CA licenses (which are impossible to get in the 10 days they say, took us a couple of months before we could appointments).

Yes you can use your home country license until you get a new DL. You don’t necessarily need an IDP, we never had one but then our home licenses are in English so we didn’t need translations of them. We got car insurance on our home country licenses before we got our CA licenses (which are impossible to get in the 10 days they say, took us a couple of months before we could appointments).

Ah ok, so it is not that bad... but regarding your situation in CA, what is the legal status at the end of the 10 days, when you drive with your home country DL, waiting for completing the CA DL? I mean, driving with home country DL in this period is completely lawful?

Last edited:
Ah ok, so it is not that bad... but regarding your situation in CA, what is the legal status at the end of the 10 days, when you drive with your home country DL, waiting for completing the CA DL? I mean, driving with home country DL in this period is completely lawful?

I never quite figured that out to be honest, I kept a copy of the appointment with DMV I had made in case of a traffic stop to show that not doing it in 10 days was not my fault but DMV, I never had to show anyone. Friend in similar situation did have a traffic stop, she didn’t get fined. I’m assuming the fact that our insurance company continued our car insurance meant it was ok but we never had to test that either thankfully!

So you're in CA?

I don't know about buying a car and getting insurance, but SusieQQQ seems to have experience. I do know that though technically not allowed, in a pinch you can still rent a car/use someone else's with your foreign licence. If not in English, an IDP would help, and also make it seem official to the sometimes inexperienced policemen you might encounter.

It's too bad that CA has no reciprocity agreements with other countries. Even out-of-state licence exchanges in CA require at least a written test.

So you're in CA?

I don't know about buying a car and getting insurance, but SusieQQQ seems to have experience. I do know that though technically not allowed, in a pinch you can still rent a car/use someone else's with your foreign licence. If not in English, an IDP would help, and also make it seem official to the sometimes inexperienced policemen you might encounter.

It's too bad that CA has no reciprocity agreements with other countries. Even out-of-state licence exchanges in CA require at least a written test.

We know a number of expats here and all were in the same boat where it’s impossible to get a CA license that soon. No one had problems getting cars/insurance on their foreign licenses. And I’m sure the police are well aware of the DMV delays and won’t penalize you for that.

It’s definitely worth shopping around on insurance, especially with a foreign license. A few companies wanted to really load our premiums for the foreign license, often what happens is it gets loaded at first then they bring it down when you get a local license, but Geico gave us reasonable rates from day 1. Yet I know people in another state where geico wanted to load their premiums for a foreign license, so it may be state specific. Also some companies accept foreign insurance company certificates and some don’t (we had certification from our prior insurers of the length of our no-claim, no-accident records which also helped with our premiums.)

Hi, I live in CA. Dont worry about the 10 days, worry about the proof of CA residence. They require at least 2, like rent lease on your name or all names if you have spouse/children and they want a DL or State ID as well as another proof like gas, electricity, rent insurance etc. they are very strict on that. No mobile bills accepted or bank statements.

Hello :) Im a Green card holder and i was planning to enter States in June. and after how time i can aply for driver licence? I assume that for that is needed Green Card (plastic) and ssn? I dont have licence yet and never did :/ Can somebody explain me how goes that? Im new in all this :) Thank you so much for answer :) :) :)

Hello :) Im a Green card holder and i was planning to enter States in June. and after how time i can aply for driver licence? I assume that for that is needed Green Card (plastic) and ssn? I dont have licence yet and never did :/ Can somebody explain me how goes that? Im new in all this :) Thank you so much for answer :) :) :)

Which State are you planning on going to/residing in the US?