DOS sent recommendation but USCIS didn't receive it after more than 1 month

lclisa

I am on H1B status without J1 waiver because neither I nor the layer noticed that I would need J1 waiver when applying for H1B. I have three questions to ask:
1. After I found out the issue, I applied for J1 waiver based on No Objection. DOS approved and sent recommendation to USCIS on 12/212010. On 02/11/2011, USCIS confirmed that the recommendation was not received. What can I do to solve this problem?
2. Am I legal to work at my current job now?
3. I have received a new job offer and a new H1B has been approved. Can I apply for change of status using the recommendation letter, or I have to wait for the waiver approval notice from USCIS?
Thank you very much.

I am in the same position as you are. I am stuck in my home country, awaiting USCIS approval. I was told I could'nt apply for a visa with a H1b petition/ DOS approval alone.
If you gather any more information, please keep me posted.

I called/faxed/mailed both DOS and USCIS many many times. I think the most important is that I got an email back from USCIS saying that my case is not in the system. I printed and faxed the email to DOS. Finally, DOS re-sent the recommendation to USCIS. My waiver was approved the next day. Good luck.

Thanks for the information.
I have been calling DOS without being able to speak with anyone. email - no response. Still waiting for response to email from USCIS. What fax # did you use for DOS?

Thanks for the information.
I have been calling DOS without being able to speak with anyone. email - no response. Still waiting for response to email from USCIS. What fax # did you use for DOS?

DOS Fax: 202 663 2868

Hello all,
I already sent change of address form 2 time but they did not put that change on system and finally they gave me a fax number and they said fax it to the that number and I already did that but there is no change on my system about my address.And now,they sent me a letter which needs to be filled with my parents name but I could not receive that paper cuz of my address.Anyone has any idea what I can do with that problem? I really need help.

AmyYoung, thanks for the fax#....I did the same thing as Iclisa and it worked. My waiver was approved today......Good luck to you

I called/faxed/mailed both DOS and USCIS many many times. I think the most important is that I got an email back from USCIS saying that my case is not in the system. I printed and faxed the email to DOS. Finally, DOS re-sent the recommendation to USCIS. My waiver was approved the next day. Good luck.

hi, the same thing is happening to me! it´s been a month the recommendation was sent, i called USCIS and they said my case is not in the system. so i called DOS, they gave me the fax number and i just sent them a fax. What i wanna know is: what email adress were u using to contact USCIS? I´m afraid the fax I sent today won´t be enough so I want USCIS to send me an email so i can print it and fax it.
One last question: how were u informed that DOS re-sent the recommendation to USCIS? By email? Thanks!