DOES USCIS check your tax returns

vimarket

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I was reading through here and found a post that said USCIS verifies the address on your application with what's on your income taxes.

I find this confusing. Does USCIS check our tax returns on their own. By this I mean those of us who arent filling for citizenship based on marriage and hence do not need to bring income tax papers, how will uscis confirm our address then?

Better yet, will they know if you didnt file taxes?

I suppose my questions is does USCIS do some sort of background check regarding your taxes before the interview? or do they only know what you tell them?

Thanks

Why are you worried about this

Simply put there the actual numbers and your address and let the USCIS decide how they process your paperwork.

N400MD, I've been reading your replies in this forum since, and here's what I need to tell you.
There's nothing wrong with not answering questions you dont know the answers to. Just saying. Stating a generic statement, making assumptions, and asking the OP questions sure wont do any good. So save yourself the time, and save other people who come to the thread look for answers the time, and not post anything.

N400MD, I've been reading your replies in this forum since, and here's what I need to tell you.
There's nothing wrong with not answering questions you dont know the answers to. Just saying. Stating a generic statement, making assumptions, and asking the OP questions sure wont do any good. So save yourself the time, and save other people who come to the thread look for answers the time, and not post anything.

vimarket, thank you for your suggestion. But let me in turn suggest that you may just as well ignore my posts and not comment on my replies.
Just as you may post your questions and opinions about anything (including my posts on this forum), so can I.

I would once again state that for someone filing N-400 the only proper way is to answer all the questions on the application accurately and let the USCIS process it whatever way it wants to.

Who told you USCIS asks for tax returns to verify the address? They ask for tax returns to make sure that the person who claims to have lived with USC for 3 years actually did so. And tax return is just one of more ways of verifying thAt.

In your case they MAY or MAY NOT ask for several years of your tax returns ( I would think that they indeed will request additional paperwork , including IRS printout of past years tax returns , before or during the interview ), and the main purpose, I would think, is NOT to verify your address but rather to make sure that you have PAID your dues to the federal treasury.

At that time you wouldn't want to raise eyebrows by presenting a document that would have something on it mismatching what you have provided earlier (including your address).

IMHO,, it is the simplest and most feasible way to simply write on N 400 whatever accurately answers the questions. This way you will be OK regardless of how they proceed.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better yet, will they know if you didnt file taxes?

I suppose my questions is does USCIS do some sort of background check regarding your taxes before the interview? or do they only know what you tell them?
Whether they do or don't shouldn't be the basis of your answers on the application. You're required to sign a sworn statement on application and swear oath at interview that the information you provide is true and correct.

Again, my question was for asking was because one of the bob's on this forum wrote somewhere that USCIS verifies the address on your ID, with the one on your tax return. My ID address is different from my TAX returns since I moved.

So, all the assumption that I may be hiding whatnot is just that, assumption.

My ID address is different from my TAX returns since I moved.

If there is a discrepancy between your tax return address and your ID address then you should expect to explain it to IO at interview, regardless if they confirm your address or not with the IRS.In other words, your tax return address is considered your legal address and therefore needs to be disclosed on the application.

Last edited by a moderator: