Does my GC interview time sounds too soon?

Registered Users (C)
Dear all my friends,

I filed my case at Dec.5, 2005 and received finger print notice at March 5, 2006 and interview was scheduled at April 06,2006. Questions:

1) The address I listed on the notice is a friend's address and right now me and my husband still live in an apartment and we are looking for a house now, that is why we use friend's permanent address. If the visa officer asked, are you living here, what shall we say? as our driver license and electric bill mailing address is different than the notice address, it is our apartment address.

2) I am going to give birth next week, shall I bring my baby to the interview site?

3) I decided to file tax return seperately, as we both has stock loss, does it going to affect our case?

4) We didn't open joint account, does it really matter?

5) After the interview is done, how long shall I expect to receive the temp. green card, and Can I travel without AP?

6) What is the maximum period that I can leave states without causing my GC void?

6) since my lawyer is in Chicago, so I am not going to bring him to the interview site, does it OK??

Sorry to bother you, any advice will be great appreciated.

Have a nice weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. So you put in the forms an address that is not yours? And you have your own apartment or you were living there when you submitted the forms?

2. I wouldn't advice it. You should bring is the birth certificate of your baby as proof that you have children from your marriage.

3. Is not problem as long as you put "married, joint separately" and you can explain about your stock loss if that question comes. Do not volunteer answers, just if they ask you then be short and specific.

4. Yes it matters, unless you have a good reason for it like you didn't get your SSN on time before the interview or something like that. If you have a SSN (well if you are filing tax return then you must have a SSN), you should show joint responsabilities with your husband like a joint bank account. It is pretty easy to do it. I understand if you don't want to have in credit cards, but that is the way it is for USCIS.

5. If you get approved, they can stamp your passport but that depends on the disctrict office. With that stamp you can travel, if you don't get a stamp then you must wait for the actual card before travel.

6. Check at the uscis.gov website about now that I am a permanent resident or something like that. If you going to stay outside the US over a year (but less than 2 years I think) you require to apply for a re-entry permit before you leave the US.

7. For the interview the must important people to be there is you and your spouse and you must have ALL the paperwork (originals and photocopies) with you.

Good luck,

I sent in all my forms 2 days earlier than you and the INS received my application packet on dec-5th 2005. I already had my i-485 interview feb-3rd and my finger prints are scheduled for the 21st of this month. So I guess its about time the INS expediated the processing of applications. Hope this answers your question partially.

Thanks and Good Day

goodguysvnr, that depends on the district office where you are. Doesn't matter if you have a similar date of another person, if you are in another state that makes a lot of difference.
And she is not asking what you answered.

Hey I am sorry if I misunderstood, but i thought the subject of the original post is "Does my GC interview time sounds too soon? ". So I thought I will answer it. I am sorry if my reply was irrelevant.

Thanks and Good Day,

goodguysvnr said:
Hey I am sorry if I misunderstood, but i thought the subject of the original post is "Does my GC interview time sounds too soon? ". So I thought I will answer it. I am sorry if my reply was irrelevant.

Thanks and Good Day,

Your message is OK, and we appreciate your contribution here. :)

cherr1980 said:
1. So you put in the forms an address that is not yours? And you have your own apartment or you were living there when you submitted the forms?

The reason that I put on friend's address is to make sure to get the mail secured. As we live in apartment temporarily, and probably going to move soon, we don't want to change the address quite often and affect our case processing time.

So, what shall I say when interview officer ask" Are you living here?"

Thanks!

1236 said:
cherr1980 said:

The reason that I put on friend's address is to make sure to get the mail secured. As we live in apartment temporarily, and probably going to move soon, we don't want to change the address quite often and affect our case processing time.

So, what shall I say when interview officer ask" Are you living here?"

Thanks!

I will suggest that you open a postal office box for your bills as you still have enough time to do this, you cannot tell USCIS that you’re not living at the address you listed on your forms. Changing the address might be a problem. I have 2 friends that had problems after changing address and you don’t have enough time to deal with that, so if you change your address with your electric bill company to P.O.box you should be fine. You can always change the address on you license if you choose to, but I don’t think the address on the License should be an issue.
It’s not compulsory to go with your baby, but you will need the birth certificate. This is so important. You can still open a joint account together even if you’re not going to operate it. This is one of the easy proof of relationship they require, but with your baby’s certificate you have nothing to worry about.
This is from USCIS website…..If you”Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.” http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#maintain
I don’t think you really need a lawyer to be with you during your interview. Attorneys are good to be at interview mainly if you have complicated situation and you want to guide against being asked questions they have no business of asking. You know the interviewer have to be professional and only ask relevant questions pertaining to your application.
Good luck in your interview.