Does Canadian Immigration process has effect on Green Card application?

drjavi

Registered Users (C)
Does the Canadian Immigration process has any effect on Green Card application? Thank you for ur input.

No they are two different process. But you cannot have both cards at the same time. You will have to let go of one country or the other once you have the cards of both countries.

srini88,
Is there a rule anywhere on USCIS site or CIC site confirming what you said? I know people who are holding both card since years.

kgp

srini88 said:
No they are two different process. But you cannot have both cards at the same time. You will have to let go of one country or the other once you have the cards of both countries.

kgp

This issue has been discussed several times on this site. Here is one of the threads. Basically in paper sure you can keep both if you maintain residency requirements for BOTH countries, pay taxes in both etc. So you have to stay 2 yrs in Canada in a 5 yr window and also maintain the US precense test in addition to paying taxes, residence etc. However it is very risky proposition. There are numerous counts of people crossing the border and getting the other PR denied since the whole concept of PR is showing intent to stay in one country. Once you have the PR you have to choose. Having said that sure there may be people who have gotten away with it but with immigration you can always get that one person who will question your intent. You can see how some people feel on paper you should be fine but then some call the immigration officers and are advised not to. To this date I have not found a thread that talks positively abt maintaining both. In fact I have seen the opposite where Canadian PR have been denied if you said you will continue with your US GC.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=105792

Guru, please advice. I have recently filed by I-140 & I-485 after a PERM approval. I am planning on visiting Canada for landing purposes in the first week of March. Do you think, it will affect my I-140 or I-485 in any case?

Thanks