Documents to attach for EB1-OR

ixora78

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I am wonder whether someone discuss here before what is the list of documents I need to attach along with my I-140 petition under EB1-OR category? What I know now is the reference letters only. Please advice.

Also, I plan to file concurrently with I-485. What additional documents I need to prepare for this?

thanks!

Do you have an attorney? You don't get your green card approved based on refernce letters alone. By the way, the complete list of evidence and forms that need to be included can be found on the USCIS website. Do a search.

well i disagree. as much as I support having a good attorney, I think it is possible for you to get your GC without the help of an attorney if that is the route you want to take. this is especially true in many of the EB1 categories.

while you can find amazingly detailed descriptions of EB1 requirements and dcumentation on this forum including stickies and I encourage you to spend a lot of time reading them in a nutshell you need the following:

1. proof the you qualify for EB1-OR ie you have a permanent job. this could be a faculty position as an academic researcher or an equivalent position in the industry. several folks have satisfied this criteria while being glorfied post docs in universities or institutions by having their chairs and deans support theit candidacy with careful and interesting phrasing of their positions.

2. Numerous letters of ref. Once again the more the better and the higher up your recommenders the better. If they dont know you personally but have seen/reviewed/used your work, even better. shows your extraordinary ability.

3. List of publications. citations etc, impact factors, reviews about your work. once again shows your extraordinary ability.

4. Any awards, significant positions held, grants, conferences attended, invites to talk and or review etc. once again shows your extraordinary ability.

5. Any report in published or electronic media about your work.

i am sure others can chime in with more

I am working in an industry research lab. My company promised to be my petitioner. So, I presume I need to write a letter on behalf of my company. I already have 8 reference letters from universties professors and leading industrials to support me. My question is, how many letter(s) do I need from my company? I will get one from my manager. So, this letter from my manager should sounds like other reference letters or it should be different?
Also, do I need another one from my Human Resource Manager as well?

nikkasingh said:
well i disagree. as much as I support having a good attorney, I think it is possible for you to get your GC without the help of an attorney if that is the route you want to take. this is especially true in many of the EB1 categories.

while you can find amazingly detailed descriptions of EB1 requirements and dcumentation on this forum including stickies and I encourage you to spend a lot of time reading them in a nutshell you need the following:

1. proof the you qualify for EB1-OR ie you have a permanent job. this could be a faculty position as an academic researcher or an equivalent position in the industry. several folks have satisfied this criteria while being glorfied post docs in universities or institutions by having their chairs and deans support theit candidacy with careful and interesting phrasing of their positions.

2. Numerous letters of ref. Once again the more the better and the higher up your recommenders the better. If they dont know you personally but have seen/reviewed/used your work, even better. shows your extraordinary ability.

3. List of publications. citations etc, impact factors, reviews about your work. once again shows your extraordinary ability.

For the publications, each journal/conference papers might be 5-20 pages. So, do I need to send in the whole set or just the first page and/or last page with name and biography?

For citations, is Google Scolar going to work?

What impact factor means?

You means, I should send in my reviewing comments as well for my papers? Some of those papers are some years ago, so I don't keep the reviewers comments anymore. So, what should I do?

4. Any awards, significant positions held, grants, conferences attended, invites to talk and or review etc. once again shows your extraordinary ability.

For awards, are school awards from my home countries would work?
Normally reviewing requets are sent by email. So, you mean I should just attach my email as a supporting document, or I need to ask for a formal letter (eg. on letterhead)?

NIW is self-petitioned, but OR is petitioned by an employer, so in a common sense, it looks odd and lack credibility for an employer to self-petition. Theoretically it can, but would a decent and reputable try to save attorney fee by filing the application by itself? I doubt it.

Based on what I see in ixora's posts, he/she could use an attorney... especially a good one!

nikkasingh said:

ixora78 said:
I am working in an industry research lab. My company promised to be my petitioner. So, I presume I need to write a letter on behalf of my company. I already have 8 reference letters from universties professors and leading industrials to support me. My question is, how many letter(s) do I need from my company? I will get one from my manager. So, this letter from my manager should sounds like other reference letters or it should be different?
Also, do I need another one from my Human Resource Manager as well?

Get a lawyer... especially if your company pays for it. Since your current employer shares some interests with you, it cannot be impartial and one letter from a senior HR rep should be enough. Your lawyer could prepare this letter for your employer that would include what is deemed necessary for OR application.

jf

ixora78,
Take a look at the following USCIS website:
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/eligibility.htm

You have to collect substantial evidence to show that you satisfy at least two criterias (better if you qualify under more categories). By the way, I have not heard anyone submitted his/her EB1-OR petition without the help of an attorney (although this is theoretically feasible)! Even universities would pay the fees for postdocs if they wish to keep the individual for a number of years.
Also your time is worth more than $2000 (even if you have to pay the attorney fees on your own) and could mitigate further frustrations/agony in the future (if you did not submit a well prepared petition).

jollyfella said:
Get a lawyer... especially if your company pays for it. Since your current employer shares some interests with you, it cannot be impartial and one letter from a senior HR rep should be enough. Your lawyer could prepare this letter for your employer that would include what is deemed necessary for OR application.

jf

Actually I did hire a laywer, but he is not very helpful..:(
I asked him all the questions I posted here, but his emails normally just a line "Yes", "No", "It is OK", etc. He didnt say to me he will prepare a letter for my employer. What he said, just you employer needs to sign the I-140, that's it.
And I cannot change my lawyer anymore as I have signed the agreement with him.

I would appreciate people in the forum that apply the same category could give me some hints. If I understand JF correctly, what I need from my employer is only a letter from Senior HR and not from say my Manager. So, I wonder how's the content should sounds? Since HR knows nothing about technical stuffs, so the letter shouldn't be similar contents like the other 8-9 letters I have from independet referees.

Please advice.

ixora78,
If your lawyer is not helpful, you can always fire him/her. It is almost unbelieveable that your immigration attorney did not give you anything! Anyways, that is between you, your attorney and your employer.
Just for your information, there are also do-it-yourself kits available for purchase at a low cost on various websites. I do not know how good they are but I believe there are postings on this forum about them.
The letter from your employer can be simple: talk about permanent nature of your position (critical for EB1-OR, otherwise you are certain to get a RFE), duties/responsibilities, past accomplishments with the organization etc.
Good luck.

Anybody know what this is all about?

I saw the following on http://www.aila.org/RecentPosting/R...ostingList.aspx

6/8/2006
USCIS Memo on "Permanent Offer" for Outstanding Professors and Researchers (.pdf 68 KB) Guidance from Michael Aytes, USCIS Director for Domestic Operations, addressing the definition of "permanent employment" for purposes of EB-1 outstanding professors and researchers.

However, the pdf document is not accessible. Post any info on this please.

niwnow said:
I saw the following on http://www.aila.org/RecentPosting/R...ostingList.aspx

6/8/2006
USCIS Memo on "Permanent Offer" for Outstanding Professors and Researchers (.pdf 68 KB) Guidance from Michael Aytes, USCIS Director for Domestic Operations, addressing the definition of "permanent employment" for purposes of EB-1 outstanding professors and researchers.

However, the pdf document is not accessible. Post any info on this please.
As pointed out by 2006gc, it is available from http://www.immigration-law.com/