Documents needed for travel on EAD

vishalhi

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
I have EAD and AP,
What other supporting travel documents i need to go to india and come back?
Thanks
V

vishalhi said:
Guys,
I have EAD and AP,
Thanks
V

of course PP with valid non-immigrant visa

vishalhi said:
Guys,
I have EAD and AP,
Thanks
V

I believe all u need valid PP, AP, EAD, ID.

Whenever u travel always make two copies of ur all docs,

1. All Immig Docs + PP copies + all approvals+ pending petitions. AP+EADs
2. All IDs+Credit Cards copies.
3. Also write down All impt ph no(finiancial institutions no, + ur attorny)

Give one sealed copy here to ur relative u trust.

Second copy take with u while traveling, in case.

Good Luck

Thx

Excellent point POJ
Thanks
V

Any other wird experience guys ??, Can you guys think of any other documents ?

I was told by my lawyer you need:

1. The Original I-485 Receipt Notices for this AOS Application (Green Card)
2. A Valid visa (this allows you to reenter the US)
3. A Valid passport

or

1. The Original I-485 Receipt Notices for this AOS Application Green Card)
2. The Original Advance Parole document
3. The Valid EAD Card (Work Authorization)
4. A Valid passport.

NN

Question

mdh3000 said:
I was told by my lawyer you need:

1. The Original I-485 Receipt Notices for this AOS Application (Green Card)
2. A Valid visa (this allows you to reenter the US)
3. A Valid passport

or

1. The Original I-485 Receipt Notices for this AOS Application Green Card)
2. The Original Advance Parole document
3. The Valid EAD Card (Work Authorization)
4. A Valid passport.

NN

I may travel also next year. I dont have the ORIGINAL 485 receipt notice. Will photocopy work?
Also why a valid EAD is required. Are you sure EAD card is required?

I don't think EAD is required, but hey bring more CIS official documents won't hurt you. Copy of I-485 receipt should be fine.
To sum up, the followings are necessary:

PP with valid non-immigrant visa
AP
Copy or original of I-485
Picture IDs (Driver's License and/or EAD)
Your employer's ID
or Original copy of Certificate of Disposition if you have ever committed a crime in US

You can bring any documents you can think of with you. Be prepared to answer all sorts of questions, why you are traveling, the purpose of visiting US, working, name of employer, address, telephone etc.

Good luck!

buzzhd

buzzhd said:
I don't think EAD is required, but hey bring more CIS official documents won't hurt you. Copy of I-485 receipt should be fine.
To sum up, the followings are necessary:

PP with valid non-immigrant visa
Your employer's ID

Good luck!

What is PP with valid non-immigrant visa?
For my case I may not have any valid H1 that time. Even if I have a valid H1 it wont be stamped in the passport. Can you please clarify.

Also what is employer's ID , is it a tax id?

swas said:
What is PP with valid non-immigrant visa?
For my case I may not have any valid H1 that time. Even if I have a valid H1 it wont be stamped in the passport. Can you please clarify.

Also what is employer's ID , is it a tax id?

sorry, it's typo, should be an employee's ID or company ID that has your name, photo on it. When your H1 was approved, you should be able to get I-94 card with an expiration date, which should be attached to your PP. If your H1 was expired already or has no valid visa during traveling you face a risk of no entry @ US customs even if you have a pending I-485 so as I understand...

thanks

buzzhd said:
sorry, it's typo, should be an employee's ID or company ID that has your name, photo on it. When your H1 was approved, you should be able to get I-94 card with an expiration date, which should be attached to your PP. If your H1 was expired already or has no valid visa during traveling you face a risk of no entry @ US customs even if you have a pending I-485 so as I understand...

Buzz

I think you are scaring us about the visa status news. Look I was planning to stop using H1 and let h1 expire. I was thinking of using EAD from nowonwards. Now what you are saying US CUSTOMS will not let me in without a valid visa? That should not be correct. That is why I will have a valid AP for them.

I feel only valid AP + valid passport + 485 receipt photo copy is sufficient. Even I think EAD is not required although this part I am not sure.

Again why I need a valid visa? To get a valid visa I have to go to any embassy in India and get it stamped in the password assuming I am continuing my H1 here. If you are talking about the approved notice of H1 (797) which has a I94 then it is not a visa. Also while going to India you should deliver I-94 part to airlines.

Thanks for the other points

:confused:

swas said:
Buzz

I think you are scaring us about the visa status news. Look I was planning to stop using H1 and let h1 expire. I was thinking of using EAD from nowonwards. Now what you are saying US CUSTOMS will not let me in without a valid visa? That should not be correct. That is why I will have a valid AP for them.

I feel only valid AP + valid passport + 485 receipt photo copy is sufficient. Even I think EAD is not required although this part I am not sure.

Again why I need a valid visa? To get a valid visa I have to go to any embassy in India and get it stamped in the password assuming I am continuing my H1 here. If you are talking about the approved notice of H1 (797) which has a I94 then it is not a visa. Also while going to India you should deliver I-94 part to airlines.

Thanks for the other points

:confused:

I-94 is not a visa that's right. But in order for you to reenter US you got to have visa either stamped on your PP or a separate reentry document like AP. I do hear from time to time that ppl got deny of entry even if he/she had AP if the officer found some grounds like invalid visa, unauthorized employment, overstay visa or no inspection entering the US incidents in the past, or a criminal convictions or a pending crimianl events, and suspicious purpose of visiting US etc. I didn't say every case is like that. I just tried to tell you from what I read in the past.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) urges all aliens with pending applications for adjustment of status or change of nonimmigrant status to consult with an immigration attorney or an immigrant assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals before making any foreign travel plans.

Generally, aliens who have applied to adjust status to that of permanent resident must obtain Advance Parole from the INS before traveling abroad (see questions and answers below). However, due to recent changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for certain aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status. Such aliens may be found inadmissible, their applications may be denied, or both.

Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after being unlawfully present in the United States for certain periods can be barred from admission, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Those aliens who have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days but less than one year are inadmissible for three years; those who have been unlawfully present for a year or more are inadmissible for 10 years.

For more information, call the INS nationwide toll-free information service at 1-800-375-5283 Further information on Advance Parole can also be found on INS’ Web site at www.ins.usdoj.gov.

Note: Aliens holding valid H-1 (temporary worker in a specialty occupation) or L-1 (intra-company transferee) visas and their dependants who have filed for adjustment of status do not have to file for Advance Parole as long as they maintain their non-immigrant status

Last edited by a moderator: