do you need to get a US passport before applying for surrender/renunciation

sreeleshk

Registered Users (C)
hi

the form to surrender the indian passport is below
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DECLARATION OF RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA ON
ACQUISITION OF CITIZENSHIP OF ANOTHER COUNTRY
1. I _____________________________________________________ (here insert name and address of declarant) am of full age and capacity and was born at (with Tehsil, District, State and Country) ______________________ on __________________.
2. I have/have not been married.
3. I have acquired US/Foreign nationality on _______________ and consequently have obtained US/Foreign passport no. : ______________ dated ________________.
4. I hereby renounce my citizenship of India and surrender my Indian Passport No: ______________ Date of Issue: ____________Place of Issue: _________________
5. Names and full particulars of my minor children, if any, who are/were Citizens of India
I, ____________________________________________ do solemnly and sincerely declare that the foregoing particulars stated in this declaration are true and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true.
Made and subscribed this __________ day of __________________
Phone No: Name:
E-mail: Signature:
US Address:
Surrender Certificate
Date: ____________
This is to certify that Mr./Ms. __________________________________ has renounced his/her Indian
citizenship and acquired ___________________ (name of the country) Citizenship. His/Her Indian Passport mentioned above has been cancelled and returned to the passport holder.
Signature & stamp (Consulate Officer)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do i need to secure a US passport do that?

actually i am planning to go to india in august for a month. can i just apply for an entry visa and take care of the surrendering indian passport issue and oci later ?

I guess you did not take the English Comprehension :) Read the Item No: 3

Do you have a US Passport ? Do you think getting an X visa is easy ? If answers to all this is No - You should postpone your trip till you have all the ducks-in-a-row.

I guess you did not take the English Comprehension :) Read the Item No: 3

Do you have a US Passport ? Do you think getting an X visa is easy ? If answers to all this is No - You should postpone your trip till you have all the ducks-in-a-row.

well i guess my ducks are not disciplined to be in a line !

technically speaking, why on earth is a person required to take a passport of the new country to renounce indian citizenship? suppose i am an indian who acquired US citizenship and i do not want to travel international. so i do not have any need to get a US passport. But i decide to surrender my Indian passport.

So the indian consulate hits me with a $175.00 (for my decision to the right thing)
and I am required to produce a US passport

hahahaahahahaaha a reward for doing the right thing!

no.3 should be naturalization certificate and number !

well i guess my ducks are not disciplined to be in a line !

technically speaking, why on earth is a person required to take a passport of the new country to renounce indian citizenship? suppose i am an indian who acquired US citizenship and i do not want to travel international. so i do not have any need to get a US passport. But i decide to surrender my Indian passport.

So the indian consulate hits me with a $175.00 (for my decision to the right thing)

If you don't have any intention of travelling to India again, then you don't need to apply for SC. You can just mail your passport stating you have acquired US Citizenship and returning the Indian Passport.

If you don't have any intention of travelling to India again, then you don't need to apply for SC. You can just mail your passport stating you have acquired US Citizenship and returning the Indian Passport.

then why shouldnt the copy of naturalization certificate work instead of the US passport?

Good point, but !!! All missions/bureaucracies have their ways and quirks - You either follow them, or engage in a pi**ng match; for which there is no reward or satisfaction.

then why shouldnt the copy of naturalization certificate work instead of the US passport?

It should, but it is not !!! Since you are in no hurry to travel outside the border, write a cover letter with the form that you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

They have no right to require you have a US passport when you apply for SC. In fact, I remember one of the forms or instructions from a couple of months ago saying that you could apply for SC without having a US passport. I can't seem to find it now.

You could

I wish to travel in august b4 the 20th at least
Seems like it's not gonna happen
Ppt-sc-entry visa

My condolences :) If you have the right attitude you could :) It will cost you an arm and a leg; and your first born. But since you feel paying USD 175 is too much you would loath to pay expedite fees for US Passport too :)

I renewed my passport at Varick St. facility within 24 hours. Years ago, I added extra pages for getting an OCI and nepal visa; also within 24 hours at Varick St. facility.

Once you get that; rest is as easy as mud :)

well Nepal doesn't have any issues about SC. Trust me I could afford 175 bucks expedited passport and what ever okay. i aint bitching about it. If nothing works out i will fly to the god forsaken Kathmandu and grab on a local flight to India !

well Nepal doesn't have any issues about SC. Trust me I could afford 175 bucks expedited passport and what ever okay. i aint bitching about it. If nothing works out i will fly to the god forsaken Kathmandu and grab on a local flight to India !

Quickest way is to get expedited US passport, Get you Indian PP cancelled and get SC and apply for Entry Visa. You cannot enter India from Nepal without Indian visa on you US pp. If you are assuming Indians can cross the border between Nepal, you wrong. Indian Nationals do need to pp but no need for Visa.

Quickest way is to get expedited US passport, Get you Indian PP cancelled and get SC and apply for Entry Visa. You cannot enter India from Nepal without Indian visa on you US pp. If you are assuming Indians can cross the border between Nepal, you wrong. Indian Nationals do need to pp but no need for Visa.

I concur. Irrespective of how you enter Nepal, all the four airlines - 9W,S2,AI/IC AND ROYAL NEPAL will look at the US passport and without a visa, not board you. Been there, done that. From KTM, there are three destinations you can fly into india DEL,BOM and I think Varanasi. All these airlines (specially Indian carrier) will not board someone without a visa.

People have no clue has to how entry/exit works in India & US. India and US, both require carriers to transmit APIS data. Even if an indian sneaks in to India via a land border and uncancelled indian passport; exiting India on a US passport is going to be a hassle.

i was just pulling ur leg. chill

I am dropping off SC application in person at the consulate tomorrow.they said that they can do it with the naturalization certificate if u go in person instead of needing the US passport. I got an expedited visa passport appointment for the 5th. so if the indian visa takes like a week to be issued after getting the SC. I would be in a comfortable time frame that i plan to travel, 20th of august

i was just pulling ur leg. chill

I am dropping off SC application in person at the consulate tomorrow.

Oh NO ! Tomorrow OCI cell is having an open house Q&A - So expect to be a zoo. I'll go there about 10ish - If you see a tallish gora-guy with a Berumda tan :) that's me. I am trying to get my OCI transfered to a new passport.

The OCI Openhouse Q&A took place in the second floor Conference/Auditorium. Wow, a gilded period piece. The circular stairs leading to the auditorium and the interior were marvelous. People with questions and problems were to be seated on the right, and folks ready to pick up their OCI to the left. The man with the green ink pen (the OCI big-cheeze) said transfer of stickers take 10-15 business days :( I spotted quite a few eye-candy.

What is this business about every male is an Uncle, and every female an Aunty ?:p "Uncle my application....." Aunty I sent..... ":D

i got the surrender certificate, was a cake walk. i spoke my way through things.
will get my passport, expedited same day on the 5th. a week for entry visa. i am good to go!

i got the surrender certificate, was a cake walk. i spoke my way through things.
will get my passport, expedited same day on the 5th. a week for entry visa. i am good to go!

Congratulations. Expedited passport @ Varick St. location.