Do we really change or add my wife's last name ?

handxx

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I have a question for you guys. My wife and I got married 2 months ago. Now , we are filling out our forms for immigration. We are also thinking about to add my last to her last name . So , she can have her maiden last name and my last name.

My question is can we also add her last name after we get her green card ? Or is it really recommended to do before we send our documents ? It seems to add last name is a little bit too much work and we are very busy with filling forms and other stuff at the moment. If you give your opinion, I highly appreciate it , thanks

Now , we are filling out our forms for immigration. We are also thinking about to add my last to her last name . So , she can have her maiden last name and my last name.
You mean turning her original last name into a middle name, and then taking your last name? If that is what she wants to do, at the interview she can simply ask for the green card to be made with the new name. But other variations may require a separate court process to invoke the name change, and if the name change is done as a separate court process in the middle of the green card process, it is likely to cause confusion and delays with the green card process.

yes , she likes to use her original last name like a middle name and use my last name as her last name..

I did not change my last name to that of my husband's or added it in anyway and I did not have an issue. We filed my papers with my maiden name and got my greencard with my maiden name.

However, that was my preference. I am not plannig to change my last name as long as it is okay with him that I keep my maiden name even in the future.

I did not change my last name to that of my husband's or added it in anyway and I did not have an issue. We filed my papers with my maiden name and got my greencard with my maiden name.
That is perfectly fine. There is no requirement to change one's name. However, *if* the name change is going to be done, it is better for it to happen entirely before applying for the green card, or at the very end of the process, because of the delays that could result from a mid-stream name change.

Yes, at the green card interview they ask you if you want to change your name, they also say its easier to do it at the appnt then after.

Yes, at the green card interview they ask you if you want to change your name, they also say its easier to do it at the appnt then after.
And less expensive. Changing the name after the green card arrives would involve paying hundreds of dollars for a replacement green card.