Do we need to carry the Green Card?

T-Rex

Registered Users (C)
JoeF and others,

Please advise. I know the law says you have to carry the GC in person. How practical it is to carry it around daily in your wallet. I know while travelling you must, but the risk of losing it while carrying on your wallet daily are substantial.

What are your opinions folks.

Thanks.

Check this link

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

"Permanent Resident Card
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their
permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. While that does not require that you have on your
person at all times, it does require that you have a currently valid card and that you know where it is and can show it to an
immigration officer, if requested. "

My personal opinion

always carry the photocopy

I live in florida, so the driver licence is enough to prove that I am a legitimate alien

What is the repercussion if eventually the card does get lost?

How painful is it (and how long) to get a new one and what does one do in the meantime the new card is awaited?

Thanks.

Originally posted by T-Rex
What is the repercussion if eventually the card does get lost?

How painful is it (and how long) to get a new one and what does one do in the meantime the new card is awaited?

Thanks.

It can take upto 1 year or even more to get a replacement card. You need to get a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport while you wait for the replacement card.

Thanks Folks.

After talking to my attorney, listening to the news media and talking to other 'experts', I can assure everyone that carrying your GC in person at all times is absolutely mandatory. There have been recent cases where people have been detained after being caught on minor traffic violations, simply for not carrying their GC or for carrying a photocopy.
Stay tuned to your local news or NPR for such stories.

:rolleyes:

As per BCIS

Following is from BCIC website.

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. While that does not require that you have on your person at all times, it does require that you have a currently valid card and that you know where it is and can show it to an immigration officer, if requested. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

I always carry a photo copy.

If asked for it I can produc it within an hour. Hope this helps.

When going on trips, I carry my GC.