Do they take away my green card?

In other countries, the permanent residency card has no expiration nor do they take it away when you become citizen.

Ah, so you'd like to show your GC to your current country to keep your citizenship? That's illegal, yo. I'd love to do the same, hehe, but I'm not going to. Very risky.

There are 2 kind of countries you might come from.
#1. Allow dual citizenship. You would not require green card to renew passport. So why would you need one?
#2. Do not allow dual citizenship. By law you are not allowed to carry this country's passport anymore. This is where you would "illegally" show your green card to renew your passport.

Of course there could be some variations where a country does not recognize its citizens taking up USC. But that's a different matter which can be discussed if needed.

Very simple. Some countries have restrictions on exist. Without a green card, you cannot leave that country unless you enter and exist on US passport.

Well in such a case, this person should have thought long and hard before deciding to become a US citizenship. Life at times demands of us to make tough decisions and then live by those decisions.

Dual citizenship issue. someone may not want his/her current country know that she or he has become an US citizen.

I think what he meant to say was that in some countries (Ukraine, for example) when going through the exit control, border guards also verify that you have proper immigration documents to enter the destination country. So, if I leave Ukraine on my Ukrainian passport without any visas, the border agent will ask me how I am going to enter the USA. This way, I would either have to show a visa, a GC or an American passport. In case of Ukraine it's not a problem because they don't care about the presence of the US citizenship (the law is too unclear to enforce), but in some other countries - especially those that aggressively prohibit dual citizenship - it may pose a serious risk.

I think what he meant to say was that in some countries (Ukraine, for example) when going through the exit control, border guards also verify that you have proper immigration documents to enter the destination country. So, if I leave Ukraine on my Ukrainian passport without any visas, the border agent will ask me how I am going to enter the USA. This way, I would either have to show a visa, a GC or an American passport. In case of Ukraine it's not a problem because they don't care about the presence of the US citizenship (the law is too unclear to enforce), but in some other countries - especially those that aggressively prohibit dual citizenship - it may pose a serious risk.

We are back to the square one. If the country prohibits dual citizenship, they you should be entering that country on that country's visa stamped on a US passport.

Once you become a US citizen, you are no longer a permanent resident. USCIS will take your green card once you become a citizen. If your original country allows dual citizenship, you can show your US passport as your proof of being able to enter the US. If your original country does not allow dual citizenship, you should enter that country on a visa stamped in your US passport. Those are the facts.

We are back to the square one. If the country prohibits dual citizenship, they you should be entering that country on that country's visa stamped on a US passport.
It's not always black and white - there might be some shades of grey. A country may not allow dual citizenship, but at the same time it would not automatically cancel its citizenship upon acquisition of another citizenship. In this case a person is still considered a citizen, but he may not get any consular assistance (e.g., passport renewal) if he presents a US passport instead of a GC.

It's not always black and white - there might be some shades of grey. A country may not allow dual citizenship, but at the same time it would not automatically cancel its citizenship upon acquisition of another citizenship. In this case a person is still considered a citizen, but he may not get any consular assistance (e.g., passport renewal) if he presents a US passport instead of a GC.

Isn't the original issue pretty black and white? You cannot have a US passport and a green card at the same time, or can you?

Isn't the original issue pretty black and white? You cannot have a US passport and a green card at the same time, or can you?
Yes, and I don't argue with that. However, my comment was aimed at the sanjoseaug20 remarks about countries either allowing or prohibiting dual citizenships.

OK, let's talk about this. So I am a citizen of country A you described above. Now I take up USC. The country A does not automatically cancel its citizenship, but does not allow dual citizenship.

With this scenario set, Why would I want consular assistance from this country A with their passport?
A) If I am in any other country, let's say B, I show my US passport for any help I might need.
B) If I need to enter country A, I should report acquiring USC, then use US passport and get a visa from this country.

Yes, one or two countries in the baltics may not allow a person to give up their birth citizenship easily, but that is almost an exception.