DO IT YOURSELF LIST - H1 to F1 transfers

CSHANKY

Registered Users (C)
1. Original I20 both School and Student copies, duly signed by School Official and Self

2. Original I 94 of applicant - I think I539 instructions mention it clearly. Check....

3. Proof of financial support - in our case, I had my own funds , so I sent bank / CD - Credit Union statements. But, more on this later...

4. Official Transcripts of courses already taken

5. Registration details of current courses (offical copy - I sent a web download)

6. Proof of ties to Home country - I included COPIES of Property Document, FD reciepts and Utility bills. More on this later....

7. Bank statement - past 3 Months (someone said they need 4)

8. Copies of Pay Stubs - last 4 (2 usually are sufficient)

9. A cover letter stating clearly the reason to change status.

10. Fees :)

11. Copies of Passport pages incl. Visa

12. Previous H1 B approvals

13 Means of financial support - submit I-134 Affidavit of support with W-2\'s, Bank Statements. DO NOT SUBMIT A PERSONAL LETTER OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT.

THIS IS IN ADDITION TO YOUR OWN FUNDS

14. Evidence of Tuition Paid - reciepts or cancelled checks

15. Submit justification for remaining in US to complete education

16. Explain Buiness Plans upon return to home country which necessitate an advanced degree

17. Submit proof of termination of employment

18. Proof of all residential addresses in US - incl. Telelephone Bills, Utility Bills, Rent Reciepts. Provide proof of current residence.

19. ORIGINAL proof of residence in the home country (ref. # 6 above)

I hope H1 - F1 convertees find this info. useful. Get it right the first time....and save time, money and frustration.

No Title

please let me know if i have to submit two recent pay stubs as i don\'t have..

Did you put up this documentation when you were in India?

Hi thanks for the information.
Were you here or in India when you put up all this documentaion. Is it not that the International student office at the school does it for you (Imenat the transfer from H1 to F1)
Please Reply!

Transfer from H1 to F1

The International Office in most universities advise you on the documents that you need to have before filing. I applied for a COS I-539 when i was laid off in dec, and the university did tell me any additional documents I may need...which helped in a good deal to get my approval in less than 4 months...
Hope this helps....

Praveen

H1 to F1 through American Consulate in Mexico.

This is Praful. I am presently on a H1 visa and my wife is on a H4 visa, which expires in september. We plan to go to Mexico in the first week of May for a visa change to F1 and F2 respectively. The following are the documents that i am taking along with me...
1. I-20 and Admission Letters.. I-20 indicates my wife\'s name as dependent.
2. Statement of Financial Responsibility and Bank Statement.
3. All documents relating to my H1.
4. copy of I-94
5. Last two paystubs...

Is the letter of intent also necessary... (why and how you intend to go back to home country after finishing F1).

What are the other documents that need to be kept ready. I have never been out of status. Further, from experiences heard before... have you known anyone whose visa is rejected because of close relatives(immediate) being in the US on a permanent basis.

I do own any property in India. I have sufficient funds here for the time being. Do i have to include a separate document indicating my financial support to my wife, even though she is applying for the F2 visa along with me.
From what i understand, if for any reason my F1 application is rejected, i can come back on my present valid H1... along with my wife... please confirm.

Will appreciate any information in this regard.

Thanks

To Praful

I have a Qustion for you..
Is it not that The international Students office at the school you plan to go to, handle this for you?
Only that you want to hurry up the process by going to mexico.
I really dont know the answer if you can come back to US on your H1.

School starts next month

Hi,

For various reasons i have applied for summer school and it starts in the last week of May. So applying for a status change ... time is a crucial factor, so i will not have sufficient time.

Legally i am supposed to be able to come back to the US, but it is entirely in the hands of the consulate if they want to cancel your existing visa. That is why i would like to take all safeguards.

Thanks

Praful...I think...

There is a change in law recently.

It says, if you applied for a Visa at a border post, and were denied you CANNOT reenter the US.

I urge you to check....

To Praful and CSAHNKY

As i think u can apply for change and start attending school. It is not necessary for the cange to happen BEFORE you start school? (That is case only fro B1 visa holders) H1 tarfer guys can apply for it through the schools international office and start school.
This is what I know and plan to do .. if I am ill informed please let me know ...

Correct...

H1 B Transfer people can start attending school as soon as they have filed for transfer.

One more :)

Thanks cshanky for clarifying.

One more question:

I was in F1 status before coming on to H1. (Finished that course fully). Now, i plan
to go to F1 again. This fact shouldn\'t matter right ?
(Note: I have a job now and will have it till i start school ).

i can start attending school while the change of status is still pending , right ?

Thanks

Shouldn\'t matter....

although I\'d suggest you explain your \'continued quest\' for education and \'intention to return\' (provide evidence thereof, of course !) in a nicely worded signed statement (separate from the cover letter) along with your COS document.

How important is that ?

what documents should i show to prove intention to return ? Although my parents have some fixed property in their name, how does it show that "I" will return ?

How important is giving proof of returning to india ? Do you think
it really carries weight ? I mean, does the INS give visas (especially student) to indians with belief that they intend to return ?

I ask this because i fund my study with personal funds and i don\'t want to bother my parents into obtaining all those property valuation statements etc, AGGGAIn.

Thanks

They will certainly ask you for a statement...

Categorically stating that you intend to return to your home country. Why ? Because thats a basic premise of non-immgrant visa. It is a totally different matter that could / would change your mind after you complete your studies - i.e. upon receiving a job et al. Your having changed your mind to stay on is perfectly admissible, after you have entered the US - and are in a status (such as H1) that allows it.

The property documents and other tangible assets, presence of family etc. are proofs that you have ties to your home country which may compel you to return.

What you could /should do is ask you parents to \'nominate\' you in the various a/c, fd\'s they have. They could have a will stating you as the heir of their property.

I am at a total loss at your unwillingness to follow some simple guidelines about proving your non-immigrant intent and coming up with ridiculous arguments that demonstrate your ignorance of basic immigration laws. Dude, if the INS decides that you are a prospective immigrant and ready to wheel-deal your way into hanging on (which you obviously are and dumb enough to admit), you\'ll be out on you ass in no time...

I think you have never faced a consular officer on a F1/B1 interview. They give you less than 30 secs and kick you out...The INS atleast goes by the evidence you present. You should count it as a blessing that you have fair opportunity to justify your case, by proving compelling evidence. Whereas, in the case of a consular interview they wouldn\'t hesitate calling you a \'cheat\' and proclaim your documents as \'forgeries\' even if they were certfied by the attorney general himself ! I have seen it happen numerous times !

Be smart - follow the rules ! This is not your baap ka raaj - do what the law says and stay out of trouble...SIMPLE !