Do I qualify for a TN Visa?

kev00

A few questions

I have a 2 year "Computer Science Technician" diploma from a Canadian Collage along with over 20 years of Software Development/Programming experience. I believe my education level is considered to be an Associates degree. Do I qualify for a TN Visa under the Technician cause?

I noticed that many jobs in the us are now hiring remote only positions. Would getting an offer letter for such a job allow me to obtain a TN Visa?

The Ideal scenario for me is that I work remotely from Canada for a while and then enter the US at some point. I also don't mind moving to the US and continuing to work remotely since ultimately my goal is to relocate to the US with my family.

You would likely qualify as a Computer Systems Analyst (CSA) with 2-yr diploma and 3 yrs experience.

You do not need a TN to work in Canada. You would only need it to work physically in the US.

Thanks for your response, I'm wondering if having a job offer for a fully remote position would allow me to apply for a TN Anyway. That way I could move to the US and work remotely.

Yes, you can apply for TN while staying in canada; it;s simply that you do not NEED TN at that time, simply because getting TN right now usully involves some sort of COVID protocol which might inconvenience you -- plus you still need to be paid as a Cdn employee if you remote from Canada.

Hi Nelsona, good tips. Do you know if employers in US have paid people in Canada during the pandemic, but once it is over, we go back to US and convert payment into US funds.

As I understand it you can enter the US for work, so I don't see the reason why you can't get a remote US job and then just enter the us and work from there. I don't think you need to stay in Canada.

Consider working through a simple PEO relationship if you stay in Canada. No need for a TN visa, in that case. There are savings for the US business, as well. Contact an immigration attorney.

You would need TN only if your employer wants to pay you through USD else no need to travel to the US right now

It is not the manner of paying, it is the location that matters. A Cdn can be paid by a US company in any currency, without a TN, as long as he is in Canada (or any other country he has legal right to work).

It is not the manner of paying, it is the location that matters. A Cdn can be paid by a US company in any currency, without a TN, as long as he is in Canada (or any other country he has legal right to work).
Yes, exactly. I was going to reply. We charge our customers in USD and pay out CAD salary. No TN. Immigration concerns itself with location.