do I have to include my full middle name in the passport

highsky1

Registered Users (C)
Hi, during my citizenship interview I requested to put my middle initial on the naturalization certificate instead of the full middle name but the officer refused, she said that I can either put the whole middle name or not put a middle name at all. when I apply for the passport can I drop my middle name or just put the middle initial?

also, is it too late to change my name on the naturalization certificate? I had my interview this week and still waiting for the oath letter.

Thanks,

Your IO was a bit strange. I also wanted to leave only a middle name initial, but the officer advised me not to do that. He said that officially I could put anything I wanted and he would not refused, but it could create some problems down the road when my one-letter middle name might be confused for an incomplete middle name. He had a valid point, so I chose to leave my middle name unchanged.

In your case, I believe that you could still schedule an InfoPass and change your new name on the form, but it might delay your oath ceremony. For the passport, you are required to put your full legal name because the US passport serves as a proof of full name.

yes, I think she is strange, I do not have my full middle name on anything except my native passport. My GC, SS and state ID all have the middle initial. I changed my first name so I will have to change my ID and SS card and I do not want them to include my full middle name, but if they put my full middle name on the passport then the ID and SS card will also have to have the full middle, right? I been searching and someone mentioned that it's possible to include middle initial on the passport instead of the full middle, I dont' know if it depends on the center where you apply for the passport!

Your IO was a bit strange. I also wanted to leave only a middle name initial, but the officer advised me not to do that. He said that officially I could put anything I wanted and he would not refused, but it could create some problems down the road when my one-letter middle name might be confused for an incomplete middle name. He had a valid point, so I chose to leave my middle name unchanged.

In your case, I believe that you could still schedule an InfoPass and change your new name on the form, but it might delay your oath ceremony. For the passport, you are required to put your full legal name because the US passport serves as a proof of full name.

I recall you mentioning that you're originally from Ukraine. Do you have an actual middle name, or did you put your patronymic on the naturalization certificate?

when I apply for a new SS card and driver's license can I request to put just the middle initial on them, or they will have to put the full middle name as it appears on the passport and the nat certificate?

I recall you mentioning that you're originally from Ukraine. Do you have an actual middle name, or did you put your patronymic on the naturalization certificate?
Patronymic. The is no middle name in Ukraine, but patronymic name is a part of the legal full name. Many people from Ukraine and Russia drop the patronymic name as soon as they can.

guys, if I schedule an infopass and ask to drop my middle name do I have to go for a second interview to sign the pictures and the application with my new name? when I signed the pics and application the IO asked me to sign with my full middle name.

Patronymic. The is no middle name in Ukraine, but patronymic name is a part of the legal full name. Many people from Ukraine and Russia drop the patronymic name as soon as they can.

I'm originally from Moscow, that's why I was curious. The only document on which my patronymic was included is my original birth certificate. The same goes for my parents (I was 11 when my family relocatied to the U.S.).

I'm originally from Moscow, that's why I was curious. The only document on which my patronymic was included is my original birth certificate. The same goes for my parents (I was 11 when my family relocatied to the U.S.).
In my case, it was the same - only my birth certificate had the patronymic name. When we filed for I-485, we translated the birth certificates "as is", and that is how they learned of the patronymic names and included them as the middle names on the Green Card. When my parents naturalised, they dropped the suffix -ovich and -ovna from their patronymic names. Although unrelated to their case, my IO suggested to do the same (apparently, he knew some aspects of this Slavic tradition), but I said that it would change the meaning, so I left -ovich in place :)

would appreciate it if you guys respond to my questions. thanks
Sorry to hijack your thread. I cannot really comment on your question, but they would tell you what to do at the Infopass. I would suggest having two pictures ready.

As for the question about SSN and driving licence, in my opinion you would still have to put your full name. At least, that was my impression when I went to change my name on SSN and DL. The forms ask your full name, so you have to put your name. At the same time, they don't give you the option to display your name differently.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I cannot really comment on your question, but they would tell you what to do at the Infopass. I would suggest having two pictures ready.

As for the question about SSN and driving licence, in my opinion you would still have to put your full name. At least, that was my impression when I went to change my name on SSN and DL. The forms ask your full name, so you have to put your name. At the same time, they don't give you the option to display your name differently.

Thank you,
one more question, do I have to change my name on the DL and SSN immediatly after I receive my NC and passport or I can do that at any time. I was thinking not to change my DL until it's about to expire. would it be a problem that my DL and my passport have 2 different names? I am talking about the first name since I changed my first name.

one more question, do I have to change my name on the DL and SSN immediatly after I receive my NC and passport or I can do that at any time. I was thinking not to change my DL until it's about to expire. would it be a problem that my DL and my passport have 2 different names? I am talking about the first name since I changed my first name.
If you think you will change an employer soon, then you should update SSA with the proper information; otherwise, eVerify will show that you are not authorised to work in the USA. If not, then you can wait for as long as you want. Updating your DL is even less important that SSA.