Divorce documents

TNguy78

Registered Users (C)
For the I-130, it asks us to submit any divorce decrees. Do we have to send copies of the entire divorce docment or just the front page and the signature pages?

One of our divorces was pretty messy and the divorce document is over 20 pages long, while the other person's divorce document is only 4 pages long. There are lot of unnecessary details in the 20 page document that really doesn't need to be copied. So I was just hoping that I could send in the first page and the signiture pages, then bring the entire document with us to the interview.

Has anyone else had large divroce documents? If so, did you send the entire thing or just part of it?

I would suggest that you send all the 20 pages, you don't want them to send you a Request For Evidence. It won't hurt you...

Quite correct it may not hurt if u send everything you have.But nothing in those 20 pages states that you are legally divorced.Once again the Final Divorce Decree is the only document they are looking for because that is the only document that proves you are legally divorced...Why not make it easy for the officer,i've heard of people who have been sent request for evidence,and the stuff that they requested was already sent!

U need to send in the Final Divorce Decree,it is 1 page

There is no "1 page divorce decree" that I have ever seen, either from my home state or my wife's home state. In both cases, the it's called a "Judgment of Divorce" and it can be many pages long. I wish I had a 1 page decree. Oh well... I will send all the pages of Judgment of Divorce.

It could be the way in which different states and/or counties handle divorces as to how they issue the decrees.

So you don't have 1 page that was signed by the judge that granted your divorce,with the seal of the court?...Well send whatever you have.Good luck.And it is called a final judgment and decree of divorce(In my state)...You maybe right different states might handle this differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you don't have 1 page that was signed by the judge that granted your divorce,with the seal of the court?...Well send whatever you have.Good luck

The document I have has the two names of the parties on the front and the judges name, plus the date has been entered to show the date of the divorce. On the back pages (after 20 some pages of details) there are the signatures of the two parites involved and the Judges signature (or in my case a stamp) plus a stamp that states "TRUE COPY ATTEST" and under that there is an attorney's signature. Although, there is no "seal" of any kind like there is on a Marriage Certificate. I guess the divorce stuff is not as "celebrated" as the marriage certificate (with a big gold seal and all). :D

I guess if this is all I have, I will send it in, and I will send in ALL the pages.

Thanks for the comments.

The document I have has the two names of the parties on the front and the judges name, plus the date has been entered to show the date of the divorce. On the back pages (after 20 some pages of details) there are the signatures of the two parites involved and the Judges signature (or in my case a stamp) plus a stamp that states "TRUE COPY ATTEST" and under that there is an attorney's signature. Although, there is no "seal" of any kind like there is on a Marriage Certificate. I guess the divorce stuff is not as "celebrated" as the marriage certificate (with a big gold seal and all). :D

I guess if this is all I have, I will send it in, and I will send in ALL the pages.

Thanks for the comments.

Well hey that sounds official to me.If possible you could try and go to the courthouse that granted your divorce and ask for a certified copy.U'll need another copy anyway,one to send with the I-130,and one for your I-485 interview.Good luck:)

Well hey that sounds official to me.If possible you could try and go to the courthouse that granted your divorce and ask for a certified copy.U'll need another copy anyway,one to send with the I-130,and one for your I-485 interview.Good luck:)

Thanks - Good Luck on your interview in 2 weeks!

In most cases, as in no-fault divorces, the pages showing that the marriage has been dissolved i.e judgment entered should suffice. The information should shown the names of both parties and the Judge's stamp and the date the marriage was dissolved.

Sending all 20 pages if they contain information that you would deem not in your best interest with regard to your AOS is not advisable.

You should either obtain a CERTIFIED copy of the Divorce Decree which is available at the County Courthouse where you got divorced or only the pages relevant to the issue.

I just sent my divorce decree, one page. Front and back. It's signed by the judge and says we're divorced on such and such a date. It's called a divorce certificate, which is all they need I was told.

I just sent my divorce decree, one page. Front and back. It's signed by the judge and says we're divorced on such and such a date. It's called a divorce certificate, which is all they need I was told.

I called the courthouse and no such luck - In that county there is no such thing as a divorce certificate. All I can get is a copy of the entire 20 page divorce decree and a stamp that says they cerify it.

And they will *only* charge me $1 per page and $10 to certify it. :eek:

Oh well...

Divorce decree

When I got divorced the final judgment was several pages long. I ordered a certified copy from the state and it's one page and it has both parties names, date and city. It looks kind of like a certified birth certificate.

When I got divorced the final judgment was several pages long. I ordered a certified copy from the state and it's one page and it has both parties names, date and city. It looks kind of like a certified birth certificate.

What branch of the state did you contact? I contacted the county clerk and they said there are no options for a one page "divorce certificate" from them. But I wonder if the state has other options? Or is it just that that particular state does not offer anything like that. But it would be worth a call to the state level if I could get one.

TNguy78,

I contacted the Office of Vital tatistics in FL (where I got divorced). For Tennessee (if that's where you got divorced), the website is http://health.state.tn.us/vr/This is what it says:
"Marriage and divorce records are available for the past 50 years at a fee of $12.00 for the first copy and $4.00 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time."

Good luck!

TNguy78,

I contacted the Office of Vital tatistics in FL (where I got divorced). For Tennessee (if that's where you got divorced), the website is http://health.state.tn.us/vr/This is what it says:
"Marriage and divorce records are available for the past 50 years at a fee of $12.00 for the first copy and $4.00 for each additional copy of the same record requested at the same time."

Good luck!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! That was what I needed to get. Funny how the county where the divorce was handled had no idea that the state could issue such a certificate - and one that is "certified" no less. :D

I searched for "vital records" for the state in question and found it right off. I didn't know you had to go to the state level to get what I needed. :cool:

Great that you found what you needed. Beats sending a ton of pages anyways. I ordered a few while I was at it, since you never know when you might need it.