Divorce case-acceptance of service in foreign country

Discussion in 'Any Topic' started by barryfaetheus, Dec 30, 2017.

  1. barryfaetheus

    barryfaetheus Registered Users (C)

    My friend lives in Arizona on a green card and wants to divorce their spouse who is an Indian citizen living in India. I understand that if the spouse agrees to accept/waive service and receive the papers by mail, this is by far the simplest method.

    The spouse will likely cooperate with this. Can this acceptance of service document simply be notarized by a regular notary in India, like it would be in the States? I am unclear because I've read a couple of things online suggesting that overseas acceptance should be notarized at a US consulate, which would make it significantly more complex due to the spouses location and health. The county court in AZ makes no mention of this however, so unless this is absolutely necessary, they would prefer to just use a regular notary.
  2. George67

    George67 Member

    You can find an answer to your question by googling Apostille Convention.

Share This Page