Dismissed Domestic Violence Charge

delhi0882

I was charged with Domestic Violence Dec 28 2018 and my charge got dismissed April 8 2019 without any plea. It was straight dismissal without any admission of guilt..
Dismissal reason says " Dismissed as per the request of complaining Witness" which is my wife.

Question:
1. I have my citizenship interview in a month. Will there be any issues in approval of my citizenship? Can my citizenship be denied for any reason?
2. When they ask me about the incident should i tell the whole story or should i say it was misunderstanding and my case is dismissed..keep it short?
3. I have the certified copy of the dismissal that is all the immigration officer will ask for right? Can they ask for incident report or police report too?

Appreciate your reply

If the case was dismissed IO likely won't ask you any further questions. Just make sure to tell them about the arrest even if it's not brought up. They will just need the Disposition or in your case the dismissal letter from the court.

I say this assuming you got arrested after your application was sent in.

If the case was dismissed IO likely won't ask you any further questions. Just make sure to tell them about the arrest even if it's not brought up. They will just need the Disposition or in your case the dismissal letter from the court.

I say this assuming you got arrested after your application was sent in.

Thanks Jbuff for quick response

Yes i have the court certified dismissal letter with me..So the IO can not deny my case since its dismissed right?

Another question: i requested for rescheduling my citizenship interview since i had surgery planned and i asked them to reschedule after 2-3 months..USCIS canceled my original appointment date but has not given me my new interview date..its been almost 2 months.

Question:

If i send USCIS letter requesting the interview date for my citizenship..Can it have negative impact on my interview? Since first i requested for extra time and now asking them to give interview ASAP?

If i send USCIS letter requesting the interview date for my citizenship..Can it have negative impact on my interview? Since first i requested for extra time and now asking them to give interview ASAP?
That I have no idea about. I would assume most people, myself included wouldn't want to reschedule n400 interview. That I have no experience with.

I applied for US citizenship N400 in Aug 2018. In the questions "Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?" I marked "No" as i was never arrested and for the traffic incident me and my wife got confused as in the instruction it said traffic incident that led to arrest then provide documentation. So we thought that we did not need to mention it on the form and it was a genuine mistake as we don't plan to hide anything. 2 weeks backs i came to know that i should have mentioned my traffic incident of stop sign traffic violation. Now i have my interview in 2 weeks.

Questions:

Can i be denied because of marking "No" to that questions by mistake?
Should i mention this to Immigration Officer that i misunderstood the question and it was a mistake even before he asks me?
At the interview can we correct any mistakes or change answers without any problems?

Please tell me how should i handle this situation. Will appreciate all your responses and any help

I filed for Citizenship N400 in Aug 2018. I have applied citizenship based on 5 years of Permanent Resident status and my GC is not based on marriage. In Jan 2019 my wife as filed for the divorce and it is still pending and we are still legally married and trying to reconcile. I have my citizenship interview coming up in few weeks and our divorce will still be pending by then.

Questions:

1. If the Immigration officer ask me what is your current marital status then what should i say? As legally we are still married and not separated or divorced. Should i tell IO about the divorce is filed or no?
2. Will the IO already know that the divorce is filed or they will not know about this as its civil case and doesn't come up with fingerprint?
3. Can they ask for any temporary orders related to the divorce or copy of the divorce petition that was filed?

Please tell me how should i handle this situation. Will appreciate all your responses and any help

You will not be denied because of this. My recommendation is to mention it when your IO is going over the Yes or No questions with you.

Don't forget to mention
1.Arrest for Domestic Violence that you went to jail for 6 months ago
2.the divorce filed a month after that
3.Traffic citation that you forget to mention on the n400

I need help here, I rescheduled my interview twice and after second time i did not the the new interview date for 2 months. Then i sent a letter to USCIS requesting them to please give me the next available interview date. Couple of days later i got call from San Antonio USCIS office saying that they got my letter and told me that the next 2 weeks are available for the interview and asked me what date will work for me. I was very surprised and i did not believe then when he gave me his name and told me that i will get an email from him about the new interview date and my USCIS portal will also be updated then i believed.

My question:

1. Can it be possible that they found out something very fishy in my application and want me to come ASAP so that they can take action on me or deport me? I am very nervous.
2. Does USCIS call applicants to set up interview, does it happen often?
3. Has it happened with anyone that they got call from USCIS office to set up an interview? San Antonio office or any USCIS office?

I will appreciate all your responses and help.

I have filed for my N400 application and under the working history..i mentioned that i was unemployed 2-3 times in last 5 years. I took unemployment benefits as well from the unemployment agency during that time. I have my citizenship interview in couple of weeks. Right now i am employed.

Questions:

1. Being unemployed and taking benefits 2-3 times in last 5 years will this be a problem for approval of my citizenship application?
2. Does USCIS check with the unemployment agency about my unemployment application that i filed with them and do they review it?
3. Do the immigration officer focus on or ask questions why you were unemployed ?

Please advise will appreciate all your help. Need your help urgent.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have my citizenship interview in couple of weeks and I please need help with few questions:

I was unemployed for few months in 2018 i listed that in my employment history. I applied for unemployment benefits and got approved but did not take any benefits.

Q1: Can this be a problem that i was unemployed and applied for unemployment benefits for my citizenship approval?
Q2: Does USCIS checks with the unemployment agency what did i fill in the application? Do they review the application?

The address on the driver license is not my current address. Its old address. I did not change the address on my DL to my current home address.

Q3: Will this be a problem that my DL address is not my current home address?

I have applied citizenship based on 5 years of Permanent Resident status and my GC is not based on marriage. In Jan 2019 my wife as filed for the divorce and it is still pending and we are still legally married, not separated and trying to reconcile and still living together.

Q4: If the Immigration officer ask me what is your current marital status then what should i say? should my answer be i am married? and should i tell IO about the divorce is filed or no?
Q5: Will the IO already know that the divorce is filed or they will not know about this as its civil case and doesn't come up with fingerprint?
Q6: Can they ask me for copy of the divorce petition or any temporary orders related to the divorce that was filed?

Please reply back to my questions, i will sincerely appreciate your help

I have a criminal case that was dismissed and i have the court certified copy. My citizenship interview is in 2 weeks. I also changed my job after applying for N400.

Question: Is it good to take an immigration attorney with me to the interview..Does it help to have a lawyer in the interview? or does it put negative impact?

Please advise thanks a lot

I have a criminal case that was dismissed and i have the court certified copy. My citizenship interview is in 2 weeks. I also changed my job after applying for N400.

Question: Is it good to take an immigration attorney with me to the interview..Does it help to have a lawyer in the interview? or does it put negative impact?

Please advise thanks a lot
Did you put the arrest on your N400 Application?

The IO will need the Court Certified copy for their file on you.

Was your GC employment based?

If you're worried that you need a lawyer because of the dismissed Criminal case. You don't!
If hiring an attorney puts your mind at ease that choice is up to you though!!

@delhi0882,

I just merged 5 different threads for your citizenship application related questions together. Stop creating different threads for each of your issues, keep them all on one thread to enable those who wish to respond have the right context and view of your issues.

Did you put the arrest on your N400 Application?

The IO will need the Court Certified copy for their file on you.

Was your GC employment based?

If you're worried that you need a lawyer because of the dismissed Criminal case. You don't!
If hiring an attorney puts your mind at ease that choice is up to you though!!

Jbuff-Thanks for response,
The arrest happened after i filed N400 so its not there i will tell them in the interview.
I got my GC for 10 years through my wife's employer.

Jbuff-Can you and everyone else please answer my below questions

The address on the driver license is not my current address. Its old address. I did not change the address on my DL to my current home address.

Q: Will this be a problem that my DL address is not my current home address? Should i apply for change of address now then i will get the paper copy of temporary D/L with new address will that work? Does I/O look for address on D/L or its just for ID purpose?

I changed multiple jobs after i applied for N400.

Q: Should i tell all jobs that i changed after N400 to I/O in the interview or no? Is changing jobs after N400 application can be an issue?

I got the stop sign ticket which was dismissed 2 years back..on N400 application i didn't mention since i got confused with the instructions as it said mention citation if it is DUI or more then 500 fine and mine was not. Now i came to know that i should have mentioned it.

Q: Should i mention traffic stop sign citation in the interview? Can this be a problem since i got confused n forgot to mention it on N400? Do they give importance to citation like stop sign?

Some attorney are saying to bring Tax return fro last 5 years my interview is in San Antonio.

Q: In the list of documents on the appointment letter it doesn't ask to bring any tax return. Is it need to bring tax return to the interview do they ask for it?

@delhi0882,

I just merged 5 different threads for your citizenship application related questions together. Stop creating different threads for each of your issues, keep them all on one thread to enable those who wish to respond have the right context and view of your issues.

Sure..Can you please answer my questions that i have asked in this thread?

Address on your DL matching your current home address not a problem . Once you listed all of your previous addresses as asked in the n400 application. Do mention your home address to the IO if it's different from your current mailing address for your n400 application. Your GC will serve as you ID as you will need to walk with it.

If IO asked about jobs do be honest. I don't see the need to bring that up. Fyi this is just my personal opinion

You'll get mixed answers about bringing up the Traffic incident as well. Like you said no Dui or $500 or over fine. Once again if you feel the need to bring that up as well. Go right ahead, it's not going to matter. IO will most likely ask if you paid your fine and may or may not ask for proof. Once again my personal opinion!!! I wouldn't bring that up, the IO will go over your case and ask you questions about anything he or she isn't clear about. Be honest with all your answers!!!

Is there a different list of Documents? You certainly do need to walk with proof that you've paid your taxes for the last 5 years or 3 years depending on your filing status. I walked with 5 years worth of tax returns but was never asked for them though.lucky me I guess!!!! Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it IMHO!! GL.

I got approved for my N400 citizenship about 3 weeks back; it says i have been placed in the line for my oath ceremony. Before i was approved my estimated completion date was showing 10/2019 and after i got approved my estimated completion date disappeared..i don't know why this happened but now can not see my estimated completion date in my online account.

Can anyone please help me with why my estimated completion date disappeared and if anyone else had experienced the same thing?

I am still waiting for my oath ceremony date its been more than 1 month now since my interview..can anyone please tell me how long does it take to get oath ceremony date after the interview?

I was charged with Domestic Violence Dec 28 2018 and my charge got dismissed April 8 2019 without any plea. It was straight dismissal without any admission of guilt..
Dismissal reason says " Dismissed as per the request of complaining Witness" which is my wife.

Question:
1. I have my citizenship interview in a month. Will there be any issues in approval of my citizenship? Can my citizenship be denied for any reason?
2. When they ask me about the incident should i tell the whole story or should i say it was misunderstanding and my case is dismissed..keep it short?
3. I have the certified copy of the dismissal that is all the immigration officer will ask for right? Can they ask for incident report or police report too?

Appreciate your reply
Hello,

Could you please provide your email ID as need your help.