Difficulty getting TN Status for multiple employers

grant2

I am Canadian. I have had my current I-94 for approximately 1 year (out of 3 granted) on TN Status. I recently entered a POE to apply for TN status for a 2nd employer.

It took quite a while to make it happen. The officers seemed very reluctant. They claimed the system "would not let them" issue another I-94 while I still had a current I-94.

Initially they tried to pass me through without any record of TN application. And then they tried to pass me through by hand-writing in my passport the name of the 2nd employer.

After a lot of polite but challenging discussion, I believe I finally induced some understanding when I showed in my passport the several times in the past I had obtained a new TN status before the old one expired. They finally issued a new I-94 with the 2nd employer listed.

If anyone has ever been in a similar situation, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

In particular: does anyone know of CPB-respected guidelines we can print & include in our TN application package to help border officers who are unfamiliar with how to handle the situation of gaining authorization to work for additional employers?

I suggest it was your soitherm border entry that caused a lack of info on their side. This is done at Cdn POEs all the time. You've got it, move on.

which PoE was it? may be the officers were new.......

Tijuana. Speculating on the "why" doesn't really matter to me. Even professionals make mistakes or do something new for the first time. I'm just curious for the best way to applicants the confidence & knowledge to explain, if necessary, to POE officers how they can grant additional employer authorizations.

I suggest it was your soitherm border entry that caused a lack of info on their side. This is done at Cdn POEs all the time. You've got it, move on.

Telling me to "move on" is pointlessly dismissive. I'm here trying to help future TN applicants have an easier time & less rejection. Let's be constructive & generous here, yes?

Not every situation need be thoroughly analyzed. But if you wish to find out more about how multiple TN works, research and get back to us.