Did you get sleep the night before Oath Ceremony?

howdy_howdy

Volunteer Moderator
An honest question! Has nothing to do with your PD or FP or BackGround check etc.

The question is:

1. Did you sleep on the night before the Oath?
2. Did you feel for renouncing/giving up your Citizenship?

If you think you have spare time, please respond.

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

I'm still waiting for my interview, but I think I will be fine before the oath ceremony when it comes time for it. The interview is what I'm nervous about, and I'll have trouble sleeping the night before that, for sure. No problems with renouncing/giving my up my current citizenship, though many people will get to keep theirs.

I haven't come to that stage yet..... But, I might not get sleep too before my oath.

But, are we not kinda prepared for that day since the day we apply N-400?

An honest question! Has nothing to do with your PD or FP or BackGround check etc.

The question is:

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

Feeling depends.

(1) For some, they are much less romantic and do not care that much.
(2) For some they can be very sentimental.
(3) For some it is very practical issue and case are not straight forward cases and perhaps has been in obscured area of deportation or citizenship. So they want to make final step a success when they coem to that

So we realized 2 weeks (maybe 3) before the interview that we had to move to India long-term for family reasons. The question was whether to sign up for USC, or postpone it (which would have meant all those "less than 6 months trips" or re-entry permit). We made a call to sign up ... while the oath ceremony was inspiring, the feelings were mixed. Sometimes life is like that - immigrant forever - first in US, then in India.

Sleep - never been awake because of immigration issues - only because of job ;-)
[ Edit / Add ] : Job ... as in things your job makes you do in a managerial role.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think one should be very very excited and happy about the Oath and obtaining American citizenship.
The question is how do you sleep before the naturalization interview?:)

Yeh, I will have trouble. I try not to romanticise about citizenship and nationality. It's just a status, and if we take these things too seriously, it leads to problems. Nationalism is not a good thing, no matter what people say, as it often clouds one's judgment and trumps common sense and pragmatism.

I slept well as there were no major issues with my case. I got to keep my original citizenship so no need to worry about renouncing it.

I dont get any sleep now and I havent even send my application in yet. I sit up at night tossing and turning thinking about how everything is gonna go. I have a very unique case. I dont think I am gonna get any good sleep until I am a Citizen.

I was fine all along my N400 process until it was just 2 days left. I didnt sleep well for 2 days, there was lot of anxiety. I never thought I would be this restless or anxious but I really was. I dont know why. I was proud, happy to get my US citizenship after 12 years and honestly there was also a wierd feeling about leaving India. The feeling I would say more like indian bride leaving parents place for husband's.

The question is:

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

I didn't sleep all night because I couldn't wait to get it done!! I couldn't wait to give up my previous nationality! good riddance USCIS!

I am actually losing sleep thinking about what will happen during my naturalization interview and I have yet to submit my application. It's just the nerves for me but I'd definitely not lose sleep over the oath ceremony. I think I might even sleep early the night before my oath to prepare for the big day without problems. And I can apply for dual citizenship if I want to. It's the interview that's making me really nervous...

Its funny this question has come up, because up until today I was eagerly waiting my oath ceremony which is 2 days from today!! That is still the case, I can't wait to take the oath and start a new chapter in my life. However, today I started reading the "Life after citizenship" and "OCI" forums and the next nightmare is clearly around the corner. I think the Indian government has run out of money and started this new "Surrender Certificate" scam, where they charge you $175 just to surrender your Indian passport. Then there is the whole OCI application process which the same old bureaucracy duplicate/triplicate/fourplicate nonsense (looks like nothing has changed in the last 20 years), which ofcourse needs the Surrender Certificate, and finally if things weren't bad enough, there are reports of immigration in indian asking for the OCI documents and Surrender Certificate upon re-entry. So now there is always a question when going to india about "do I have all the right documents" ? Remember the anxiety when entering the US (which in retrospect was completely unwarranted), well now you have to think about the same thing but only upon entry to India!!! Oh joy!

This serves as just another reminder why I never hesitated to apply for citizenship when I reached the 5year mark on the GC.

Last 2 days as an Indian Citizen. I will try and sleep peacefully. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I slept well but I did my best to prevent any delay so I arrived 4 hours early before scheduled oath time.
I sat in my car in a garage for 3 hours, fiinishing listeing to an Audio book (a John Grishan Novel)

Eat and sleep well. Unless there are other factors make you emotional; it was less exciting than 4 hour wait times and long queues for H1 visa.
I would say less worried about this whole surrender certificate thingi; while I agree that it is atrocius and greedy and what not; India survives on Gandhigiri. So, don't worry about producing surrender certificate (if you forget to carry one). There are people always looking for money in India and Gandhiji had always came to my rescue (I am sure he rescues lot of others too). Worry less, keep your calm and keep Gandhiji in pocket/on-hand. :)