Did not renew GC at age 14, what do I do?

I am almost 19 now, and I just found out I was supposed to renew my GC when I was 14.
Should I file I-90 and renew my card immediately? The problem with that is I don't know which reason for application is appropriate for my case. Should I say it's because my card is expiring?
Someone suggested me to renew it until my card actually reaches its expiration date(which is in 2017), but my local DMV won't accept my GC when I tried to get my driver's license. What should I do about this?

Please help! Thank you!

On the form, it says:
2.g1. I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as
required. My existing card will expire after my 16th
birthday. (If you are filing this form before your 14th
birthday, or more than 30 days after your 14th birthday,
do not select 2.g1. You must select 2.j.)
So it seems like you should select 2.j.

In the meantime, can your DMV accept your passport instead?

Also, why haven't you applied for naturalization yet?

istitou never

On the form, it says:

So it seems like you should select 2.j.

In the meantime, can your DMV accept your passport instead?

Also, why haven't you applied for naturalization yet?

I think DMV is trying to verify my residence status, so they pointed out that I need to renew my GC.
Thank you for your help! Would they reject my I90 application since I should've renewed my GC 5 years ago?
I am not planning to apply for naturalization yet.

I think DMV is trying to verify my residence status, so they pointed out that I need to renew my GC.
Thank you for your help! Would they reject my I90 application since I should've renewed my GC 5 years ago?
I am not planning to apply for naturalization yet.

GC doesn't prove residence either. Proof of residence would be something like a bill or mail sent to your address. They probably want something that proves you live in that state, and GC doesn't do that. GC simply provides 1) photo identification, and 2) proof of immigration status. Since the proof of immigration status is still valid (the card is not expired), I am guessing that the reason they didn't accept it is because the photo is too old. If that's the case, then your passport can also serve as a photo ID.

And no, they will not reject the I-90. Almost nobody knows to do the "replace when you turn 14" thing anyway. But I am thinking that it would be a huge waste of money (couple hundred bucks?) and time (you have to go get fingerprinted, etc.) to replace your green card, because you can basically apply to naturalize at any time now. Especially since the green card is actually still valid; and one place just happens not to accept it because of the photo or something.

Last edited by a moderator: