Derivative asylum

Peach

Registered Users (C)
Hello, Everyone!
I got my derived asylum approved at the end of 1999.
Applied for a Green Card in 2001.
In August 2004 did my fingerprints.
Now – my possible problem:
I divorced my principal applicant earlier this year. The last lawyer I consulted told me, that as long as we had a marital relationship prior I filed for my status adjustment, I shouldn’t worry about being denied a green card, but I can’t not to worry about what would happed when They call me on the Interview? What if They denied my application because we are not together anymore with my ex-husband? Can They do that to a person who lived here for 10 years already and has two kids born here? goes to school and works and pay taxes and have no other place to go back, or call home, besides this country?
I searched all treads in this forum, but couldn’t find any similar topics, so I decided to start a new one. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I think you need to fill out a new asylum form, but do not have to prove persecution.

Peach said:
Hello, Everyone!
I got my derived asylum approved at the end of 1999.
Applied for a Green Card in 2001.
In August 2004 did my fingerprints.
Now – my possible problem:
I divorced my principal applicant earlier this year. The last lawyer I consulted told me, that as long as we had a marital relationship prior I filed for my status adjustment, I shouldn’t worry about being denied a green card, but I can’t not to worry about what would happed when They call me on the Interview? What if They denied my application because we are not together anymore with my ex-husband? Can They do that to a person who lived here for 10 years already and has two kids born here? goes to school and works and pay taxes and have no other place to go back, or call home, besides this country?
I searched all treads in this forum, but couldn’t find any similar topics, so I decided to start a new one. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thankful said:
I think you need to fill out a new asylum form, but do not have to prove persecution.
Thankful,
Thank you for your reply.
I already have an asylum status, without even filling for it.
Why do I need to fill out a new application, and even if I do, why don’t I have to prove prosecution, if that is the main reason for filling that form? Doesn’t make any cense to me.

Message for Thankful

Thankful,

I read your earlier posts.
You said you and your sister went for yourI-485 interview.

thankful said:
We came in on an approved I-730 petition and until today we had never been to an INS office. I guessed they interviewed us because they wanted to see us at least one time.

That, I think, is what is going to happen to me too.
I got my I-730 approved without ever going to the INS office. They will definitely call me up.
Did INS ask you, or your sister any additional evidence before the interview?
Did they ask you, or your sister to bring anything to the interview?
Was the principal applicant for your case already approved for the GC by the time they call you for the interview? Did they call him (or her) up for the interview as well or the principal got approved without going to the interview?

Last edited by a moderator: