Derivative asylum and I-94

Triple Citizen

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have a cousin whose wife entered the US last April as a derivative asylum applicant. She was issued an I-94 with the following notation:-
"Asylum status granted pursuant to section 208 of the immigration and nationality act valid to 4-17-07.....employment authorized"

Once that date goes by, what proof of legal status does she need? Does it have to be an EAD? I know she can apply for a GC once a year rolls by, however if financial situation rules out that option for the time being, what does she need to do for proof of legal status?
Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Triple Citizen said:
Hi,
I have a cousin whose wife entered the US last April as a derivative asylum applicant. She was issued an I-94 with the following notation:-
"Asylum status granted pursuant to section 208 of the immigration and nationality act valid to 4-17-07.....employment authorized"

Once that date goes by, what proof of legal status does she need? Does it have to be an EAD? I know she can apply for a GC once a year rolls by, however if financial situation rules out that option for the time being, what does she need to do for proof of legal status?

Doesn't she have a Social Security Card?

She should've gotten an unlimted I-94. You can go to USCIS website and ask for a new I-94 or you can ask for a Work Permit.

You have both options. I would suggest get the new I-94 which says employment authorized and take it to SSN admin to get a card.

She has an unrestricted SS card. She got it within two weeks after coming to the US. I had never seen an Asylee's I-94 before. I expected it to not have an expiry date or have "D/S" on it. So you are saying that her initial I-94 was incorrect and she should have never gotten one with an expiry date?

Triple Citizen said:
She has an unrestricted SS card. She got it within two weeks after coming to the US. I had never seen an Asylee's I-94 before. I expected it to not have an expiry date or have "D/S" on it. So you are saying that her initial I-94 was incorrect and she should have never gotten one with an expiry date?

yes asylees recieve unrestriced card. If she has a SS card..she doesn't need I-94..

Triple Citizen said:
Hi,

She can apply for an EAD or a Refugee Travel Document. Even if she has an unrestricted social security card, I strongly suggest that she keep some kind of unexpired DHS paperwork with her.

An asylee's I-94 should have the following for validity: Valid to Indefinite. This happened to me personally, where upon my return from vacation abroad, I was issued a new I-94 with an expiration date. Have your relative get an InfoPass and get a new I-94. When this happened to me, there was no InfoPass, so I submitted a Form I-102 without the fee - since it was their error. Nowadays, you can get it fixed at the DO faster via InfoPass. I would also have her apply for an EAD since the first one is free for asylees. It is always good to have another form of immigration ID.

Regards.

Does Asylum I-94 valid indefitely or get expires after a year of issue?

Hi,
I came to US with family through my dad's Asylum granting visa on May 30th,2009, we were issued I-94 which says valid indefinitely. After may 30, 2010, we filed for our green card. At the same time, I went to DMV to get my Drivers Lisence but they said my I-94 is expired and I was not allowed to give road test. now I am trying to get into the school and started doing the process and college admission section wants my INS status ( Im not sure if they're talking about green card), but my green card is still in process and i think its take time to get in our hand, I showed them my work permit and Social Security but they still need my residency status to approve for the college and financial aid.but i have my I-94 and not sure if it is expired since it says valid indefinitely. I need help regarding this situation. please help