delivery of a baby on b visa

mzis

hi
i am currently working on h1 visa in california.

I am unmarried.
My sister her husband and my mother has b1 visa.They visited me laster year.My sister works for an american firm in India.She visits newyork and california for work issues regularly.

My sister is 4 months pregnant.She wants to deliver her baby in United States.
I would like to know if this is possible if she her husband and my mother can come to california to stay with me and deliver the baby here.
I would like to know what would be the issues.And what could be the expenses.

Thank You

Why does she want to deliver in the US?

Does she have medical insurance to cover the delivery? If not, expect bills for $10,000 upwards for a straightforward birth.....any complications, then expect this amount to increase significantly.

It should also be noted that should someone arrive at the POE, visibly pregnant, with a B visa, then expect a grilling by the officer/denial of entry. Also, think about actually getting on board the flight in the first place....how soon before the delivery does she expect to travel?

she would come in her 8th month of pregnancy.Is there a chance that she would be denied entry by the officer at the port of entry.
also if her firm provides insurance and expenses for her medical procedures and delivery will she be allowed.

Thank You.

She could be denied entry.

Travel could be denied by airline.

Her US citizen child grants no benefit until he/she is 21 (and that may change).

More importantly, she is unlikely to find a doctor to provide any but emergency care. She is a huge malpractice risk as she has been receiving care in a questionable environment. Even long time US citizens and residents have a hard time obtaining OB care as many are leaving the field - at least OB practice - due to malpractice claims. In my area, someone would expect at least a 6 month wait for an appointment for a new patient if they could find a doctor taking new patients. If she has no US health insurance, she can forget obtaining a private doctor in many location. There are more women needing OBs than there are OBs to provide care; there is no room for her in their practices at 8 months. If she wants to have the child delivered after no late term care and risk the potential life long effects of her desire to have a US citizen child, she should reconsider whether she has the child's best interests at heart. No responsible MOTHER would choose to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i'm new here and this is my 1st post. Some of the above posts might be misleading, or might not be applicable in all cases.
Me, my wife and our 1st child of 3 yrs went to the US on B visa in november 2009, while she was 8 months VISIBLY pregnant, but the POE officer did not say anything about the pregnancy! We got a fit-to-travel medical report which we showed the airline while departing our country. Upon arrival we walked into a county hospital in California and the doctors started attending to her immediately without any hassles. She used MediCal. She gave birth less than 4 weeks after our arrival. And this was our 1st time to the US, what more of your sis that has been frequenting the US? I also know of many women who have delivered their babies in the US, without any complain.
If your sis wants to deliver her child in the US, pls let her go ahead.

He stated they used MediCal - in other words the taxpayers paid for this anchor baby.

But that was then and this is now.

A USC baby does noting at this time to make parents legal until the child reaches age 21. There are definite disadvantages in some countries that discriminate against non-citrizens (India comes to mind.)

And people wonder why overburdened US taxpayers dislike freeloading visitors.

Also, given the scarcity of OBGYNs, she may have a significant problem finding a Board Certified to deliver her. In my location, the wait for a first appointment for a new patient is over 6 months - if they will even take someone with no insurance. Go to Medicaid and you get pot luck - maybe only midwife.

Cross-atlantic airlines are much more strict about letting pregnant women fly; I believe the cut off is 6 months.

I would be more concerned about a mother's mental state if she is willing to fly cross-atlantic when 8 months pregnant!!!

Cross-atlantic airlines are much more strict about letting pregnant women fly; I believe the cut off is 6 months.