Degree Evaluation question

mercury6

Registered Users (C)
I am in the Toronto area and looking at going for TN soon.
I have an evaluation from a company in USA from way back in 1998 when I was working there.

Since it was done in USA, it actually says that my 4 yr Bachelor in Science Engineering (From India) is equivalent to an Engineering degree in USA.

Would that be enough or should I get it once again?
Should I get it done for both Canadian and USA equivalency?
Where can I do so in Canada?

BTW, I will be going for an IT Job, which is what my main experience is in.
I hope that is not an issue since my degree is in Mechanical Engineering.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oad
If you are now a Canadian citizen (sounds like you were previously an H1-B is the U.S. with a degree from a third country?), the prior evaluation would be enough for USCIS (I don't know how it would be viewed by CBP--it SHOULD be OK but CBP may not routinely deal with the situation).

Review the requirements at 8 CFR 214.6 and on the TN page at www.uscis.gov which also addresses application made at the border.

Good Luck,

"CBP may not routinely deal with the situation".

Of couse the POEs at the Cdn border deal with degree evaluation all the time for TN.

No need to re-evaluate.

"CBP may not routinely deal with the situation".

Of couse the POEs at the Cdn border deal with degree evaluation all the time for TN.

No need to re-evaluate.

Most Canadian TN's present Canadian (or even U.S.) degrees. CBP has tons of experience with that. Last time I checked, India was not on our northern border and CBP may not routinely deal with Degrees earned in India.

Again, since you are completely unfamiliar with Canada and the TN process on the ground, please realize that canada is a multi-cultural land. A great number of our citizens (exactly like our poster) come her after getting a degree in their native country.

CBP does routinely deal with degree evals for TN.

Guys, have a quick question about experience letter from past employers.
I really dont have them, not at least the way US immigration would like them.

I am in touch with past managers and colleagues who can provide references
on a personal level, but no letter from the company I worked at.

How important are these and Does the immigration officer scrutinize them
and reject the TN application?

Thanks again.

Hello all,

I have a similar question and I appreciate if somebody could give me an answer. I am a Canadian Citizen. I had my Master's degree from Europe and will soon get my PhD from Canada. My PhD defense will be in March, but I will have to wait until our convocation in June before I can get my PhD certificate. I already have an offer from a company in the states and can move/start working on April 1st. My only dilemma for TN is the proof of education. Do I need to wait until after June and apply with my PhD cert. in hand ? Do I even need to have a PhD for applying for TN or Masters is enough ? In that case, do I need to evaluate my Masters ? It was accepted by the university when I started my PhD, isn't it enough ? Should I get a letter from the university that confirms that I have finished all the PhD requirements (not an official PhD certificate, just a letter) ?

Any help in this regards is very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
No TN category requires a PhD or Masters, so the only time you would need to wait is if your Bach or masters is in a field unrelated to the TN category you are petitioning for.

It's a subtle point, but even if your employer requires that you have PhD, Border only needs to look at Bachelors degree for giving TN.

If you are counting on your PhD to get a TN, then you must at least have the transcript showing awarding of degree, but my guess is you have the required bachelors degree.

Hello Nelsona,

Thank you very much for your reply. This is my first TN, so please forgive me if I am asking for the obvious. Let's say that I have the required offer letter from the company (the position is very much related to the field that I got my Bachelor, Masters and Phd). When I show up at the border, what do I need ? A translation of my Bachelor and/or Master's certificate (both are non-english) ? Should I take those translations and evaluate them in Canada/US or I don't need to ?

Thanks again,

You need an evaluation of your bachelor's degree (including transcript).
Genearlly, All non-North american degrees need an eval for US immig purposes, even if they are in English.
Contact the evaluation firm (WES or UofT, for example) and they will be able to tell you if you first need a translation before they can evaluate. Otherwise, their evaluaution will be sufficient to get TN.

Hi All,

About the WES evaluation for TN visa use, I can't seem to understand which type of evaluation I need:
"WES ICAP" or "WES BASIC" /
"Course-by-Course" or "Document-by-Document"?
It seems that ICAP includes "Authenticated transcripts stored and sent to institutions" but the sample for "Document-by-Document" provided doesn't include any course or scores.
See www. wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp

I'm seeking a Engineer/CSA category for the occupation of Software Developer, and have both bachelor's and master's degree in Engineering (Computer Science).

And do I only need to physically bring the evaluation reports when applying? or would I need WES to send CBP reports directly?

Appreciate any kind of help!
Thanks

Last edited:
First, you need to pick your category (or your sponsor does). Then your degree (the entire document) would qualify you. If you didn't have the realted degree, then you would have the course-by-course evaluation done.

CBP accepts the evaluation from you. It cannot be mailed directly to them, nor does it need to be.

Hi Nelson,

In that case I think I'll have the course-by-course just to be on the safe side ahead of time.
Thank you for your help!

Hi Everyone,
i have a small question, i have a Course by Course WES evaluation done for Canada for Mech Engineering , and i have 1 year of Post grad certificate in the Job field as CSA ( as per TN 1 year of Post grad certificate is not considered ) from Toronto, do I need to update my WES to be equivalent in the US as well ? and will the 1 year post grad certificate help me in any way ?

thanks kindly advise

If you are getting a Mech Eng job, you don't need it. If you are getting a CSA job, it won't help, in my opinion.

If you are getting a Mech Eng job, you don't need it. If you are getting a CSA job, it won't help, in my opinion.
so i am getting a job as BA ,
1. should i convert my canadian wes into us equivalent even thou the bachelor degree is not revelant.
2. would the 1 year post grad diploma ( IT business analysis) help me in any way proving my relevant education in IT.

thank you very much

Yes, You do need an evaluation for your DEGREE that equivalences it to a US Bachelor's degree. I mistook that you had this already.

There is no value in the TN world for 1-yr diplomas.

What TN category would Business Analyst fall under? Off-hand I can't see one (Management Consultant which requires 5 yrs experience maybe) , and I'm quite sure your Engineering degree would not satisfy any education requisites for that category if there was one.

Send all your education credentials to WES, UofT (since you are in Canada) and get it evaluated. They will make a 'statement' in the evaluation report that the 1 yr. diploma courses are equivalent to US 1 yr certficate.
Above will be if they think you match all the courses in 1 yr post grad diploma in any univ/college of USA

Nelsona is right no value in any nos. of diplomas making for education requirement.
Edu. depends in the TN category you are applying. From my own experience- even my bachelors was equivalent as US Bachelors, i went for scientific tech/technolg. category as ONLY requirement was basic knowledge. My job duties are easy....and took lower position then offered to keep it simple.