Degree doesn’t match job title, need help!

TuesdayTuesday

Hi all, I have done plenty of research and I got mixed information. I just want to gather some comments from here as well. My situation:

1. Job offer from a Silicon Valley fortune 100 company - designer position
2. Canadian with 13 years of experience in the field, I have employment experience letters from the past 13 years. One of 2 is fortune50.
3. BA in Economic degree
4. Currently working with Fragomen to file the application with USCIS

My questions:
1. I read somewhere stating it’s supposed to be a matter of process at POE if there’s approval from USCIS, but someone here stated that even with USCIS approval it’s still at the CBP officer’s discretion to approve or deny TN. If the latter is the truth, what’s the point of getting USCIS approval?

2. Based on my background of unmatched degree with job title, I read it’s going to be very tough to expect an approval. Should I have any realistic Hope here? What are the chances?

3. If I did get lucky and got an approval, what’s the fastest way to get a degree that matches my job title? Enrolling into a college part time diploma program? Online part time master degree? Continue education certificate part time? To avoid future renewal issue.

4. If I didn’t get an approval or denied at the POE, am I still obligated to the company that I accepted the offer? I just don’t want to be dragged too long for the reapply process with all the uncertainties. I’d rather be focusing on my current work or finding another local employer.

Any comment is welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
1) Yes that is correct CBP does review.I had a approved petiton , but they did spent sometime to review by degree,job description.
2)Is you degree from North america? which TN category you are applying for?
3)Yes there are Masters degree in canada and USA which be completed in 16 to 24 months.
4) You are not obligated to accept the offer after approval, but you should cancel TN in case you don't join

Yes, my degree is from Canada. And Im the lawyer suggested to put in the "Graphic Designer" category for the job title "UX designer".

I have already accepted the job offer with the company, but if this TN is not approved, I'd assume I'm obligated to attend the job or pursue reapply process.

I believe BA in economics and "Graphic Designer" category will be difficult.
Even if you get approval from USCIS , CBP will ask you for relevant courses.
My first petition was approved for CSA category . by USCIS, still CBP told me to prove that by bachelors has computer courses.

H1-B would be the only other recourse, but that only would be for next October, applied next April in a lottery.