Deferred Inspection & criminal records

skae

I'm scheduled for a deferred inspection on Tuesday Jan. 8th, 2008. They've asked for certified copies of criminal records from 16 years ago. I've requested them but was told today that they won't arrive in time.

If I return to Canada, I'm confident that I can find naturalization info for my parents showing that I have derivative citizenship.

What happens if I voluntarily leave prior to my appointment next Tuesday?

What happens if I show up without the records?

What has the CBP been doing the past three weeks with my file?

Thanks.

I'm scheduled for a deferred inspection on Tuesday Jan. 8th, 2008. They've asked for certified copies of criminal records from 16 years ago. I've requested them but was told today that they won't arrive in time.

If I return to Canada, I'm confident that I can find naturalization info for my parents showing that I have derivative citizenship.

What happens if I voluntarily leave prior to my appointment next Tuesday?

What happens if I show up without the records?

What has the CBP been doing the past three weeks with my file?

Thanks.

It is very easy to fall into the Mandatory Detention category as an arriving alien. You could be taken into custody and held indefinitely. You should consult with an immigration attorney and you may want the attorney to go with you. Although you have no right to counsel at the deferred inspection proceeding, it is unlikely that counsel will be excluded (I have never been refused).

This is far too critical a situation for you to take advice from the internet. You should retain counsel now.

Jim