• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Deciding interview date

Finwin

I thought to share this as I haven't seen anyone writing about it before.
Last fall I called KCC to ask about a couple of things, one of them being how to postpone scheduling my interview date (my CN was current already in February).
One way obviously is to postpone submitting the DS260, but the KCC lady also told that it's also possible to submit the DS260 and then email KCC asking them simply not to schedule the interview until a certain date. Of course the interview date could be some time later than the date you tell them, but not much later as your DS260 would already be processed. Most importantly, it would not get scheduled any earlier than wanted.

I thought to share this as I haven't seen anyone writing about it before.
Last fall I called KCC to ask about a couple of things, one of them being how to postpone scheduling my interview date (my CN was current already in February).
One way obviously is to postpone submitting the DS260, but the KCC lady also told that it's also possible to submit the DS260 and then email KCC asking them simply not to schedule the interview until a certain date. Of course the interview date could be some time later than the date you tell them, but not much later as your DS260 would already be processed. Most importantly, it would not get scheduled any earlier than wanted.

I must admit I never heard of that before, please keep us updated if you try this and let us know how it works out.

I must admit I never heard of that before, please keep us updated if you try this and let us know how it works out.

I personally didn't end up trying it in the end, because I didn't dare to submit my DS260 before knowing the outcome of my studies. But I remember reading some people's questions here about when they should submit their DS260 to get an interview in some specific month, so I thought to share this in hopes it'd be of help for them. The information was given by the KCC customer service lady on the phone, so it should be legit information. Anyone interested but hesitant about it should probably call KCC though, just to double check.

The information was given by the KCC customer service lady on the phone, so it should be legit information.

Hmmn, not quite. Just because some lady from KCC said so on the phone doesn’t necessarily mean it is legit. We have several reported instances of when a lady or someone from KCC has given misleading or not quite accurate information regarding the DV process.

Just thought I'd pop in to let everybody know - I did this and it seems to have worked!

I'm a DV2018 selectee, case number OC9xx. Based on visa bulletin progression, I would have been current for a May interview. However, I'm planning some overseas travel in May so I wanted to delay my interview if possible.

Emailed KCC back in January, requesting a hold on my interview if possible. They replied very promptly (within 24 hours) with the following: "We can put a hold on your case to prevent scheduling until a date you specify. Please be aware, however, of the possibility that there may no longer be visas available at that time, thus visa issuance to you cannot be guaranteed, even if you meet all the qualifications. Please advise if you choose to take this action and, if so, include that date you wish to release the hold on scheduling." I emailed back, requesting to be scheduled any date after June 4.

The April visa bulletin came and went, and I didn't receive a 2NL even though my number was current. So far so good! Then today, I did receive my 2NL. My interview has been scheduled for June 26th. So this strategy seems to have worked in my case.

Just thought I'd pop in to let everybody know - I did this and it seems to have worked!

I'm a DV2018 selectee, case number OC9xx. Based on visa bulletin progression, I would have been current for a May interview. However, I'm planning some overseas travel in May so I wanted to delay my interview if possible.

Emailed KCC back in January, requesting a hold on my interview if possible. They replied very promptly (within 24 hours) with the following: "We can put a hold on your case to prevent scheduling until a date you specify. Please be aware, however, of the possibility that there may no longer be visas available at that time, thus visa issuance to you cannot be guaranteed, even if you meet all the qualifications. Please advise if you choose to take this action and, if so, include that date you wish to release the hold on scheduling." I emailed back, requesting to be scheduled any date after June 4.

The April visa bulletin came and went, and I didn't receive a 2NL even though my number was current. So far so good! Then today, I did receive my 2NL. My interview has been scheduled for June 26th. So this strategy seems to have worked in my case.

Good luck on your interview @LucyTheNerd