Dec 18th Case on Hold - Background check

honda

Registered Users (C)
RD : 12/18/2001 (Boston MA)
FP1 : Mar 12 2002
FP2 : Jul 19 2003
AD : ?????

When my case completed 18 months i had called BCIS and after 3 weeks i recvd a 2nd FP notice, got it done early on July 19th 2003 and the BCIS website was updated with the results and my case is resumed.
I had called BCIS when my case had completed 20 months (last week Aug 18th 03) i recvd a letter today from BCIS stating my case is on hold and they are waiting for the background checks to be completed on my fingerprints ..please allow a minimum of 60 days for this process to be completed.
I believe Fingerprint validation is a 2 step process, even though BCIS states fingerprint results were recvd does not mean background checks are cleared ......

Honda

fanshan,
You are not going to receive FP2 now, as your 1st FP is valid till 9/16/03. I hope your case will be approved by then.

honda, these replies are so spontaneous I doubt they are credible. Wait 2 more weeks, if you case is still not approved,
then maybe you need to contact congressional authorities to help check your case status.

dengdeng,
That is true. I Last two months opened 4 trouble tickets with NCSC regarding my attorney address change. I got only one response from vermont, telling me to apply AR-11 form.

Most of the times they ignored my requests. Honda succeded in all the time. That is very strange and good for him.

dengdeng can you please shed some light....

Dengdeng can you please shed some light / your view .... Do you think my case is assigned and put on hold as per the notice i recvd from BCIS ....

"Our computer system show that your I-485 petition/application is still pending service consideration. As of 07/24/2003 your case is on hold because we are waiting for the background checks to be completed on your fingerprints.Please allow a minimum of 60 days for this process to be completed."

RD: 12/18/2001
FP1 : Mar 14 2002
FP2 : Jul 19 2003 (BCIS site updated on July 23 rd 2003)
AD : ????

Honda

got a letter from INS

My case is 10/18/01.
I got a letter from Vermont said my case got delayed by some reason (didn't say the reason is). They put my case on their supervisor's attention. And said I should heard something shortly. If I still got nothing after 45 days, contact them again.

Any ideas?????

Lotus_pray

Honda,
I am thinking this is going to happen

1) They will do security check.
2) After clearance of security check they will see whether file is completed or not
3) If it is completed They will put your application in completed Queue.
4) Officer will get assigned.
5) He will go through the file one more time make sure every thing is fine.
6)Approval or RFE will be sent out.

Local BCIS office guys explained me this procedure.

manumahi,

But we have seen some posts in this forum that some times the file has already been reviewed by adjudicating officer and once the security check is completed those people get approved. How does that scenario fits here?

Are there any clues that can tell if the file has already been looked at by some adjudicator?

Thanks.

back three months before, I called BCIS. They told they are waiting for my security check result. If they got it, I will pulled out to the complete adjustication. So my understanding is they already open my case. The security check is one ltem in their checking list.

Originally posted by Oct1RD01
manumahi,

But we have seen some posts in this forum that some times the file has already been reviewed by adjudicating officer and once the security check is completed those people get approved. How does that scenario fits here?

Are there any clues that can tell if the file has already been looked at by some adjudicator?

Thanks.

I think what manumahi described sounds reasonable. The security check is done first. The person who executes the security check most probably is an adjudicator officer (they are being used for this purpose) but he will not do anything more at this stage!

honda, I think that's the standard answer for anyone did 2nd FP.
Yours was assigned to officer before.

I think the security check is done after the adjudication. There's one person posted on this board that he received a letter from BCIS, says, after his file passed initial review, was on hold for security check. I don't think security check is done before adjudication, because it's only valid for certain days. It's possible
that since most secuirty check only takes 3 days, after adjudication officer request security check, or when he initial review the file. Then if security check doesn't come back, he will put the case on hold and process another case.

Originally posted by dengdeng
honda, I think that's the standard answer for anyone did 2nd FP.
Yours was assigned to officer before.

I think the security check is done after the adjudication. There's one person posted on this board that he received a letter from BCIS, says, after his file passed initial review, was on hold for security check. I don't think security check is done before adjudication, because it's only valid for certain days. It's possible
that since most secuirty check only takes 3 days, after adjudication officer request security check, or when he initial review the file. Then if security check doesn't come back, he will put the case on hold and process another case.

dengdeng,

I do not think we know exactly what is going on and also the procedure may vary according to the Service Center, or Local center. We also do not know exactly the status of integrating all the databases and the problems they face, such as hardware, software, different sub-contactors (Oracle, IBM, etc), different data input formats (first name first, second name first, etc). The system has also generic flaws;as it was reported recently, provides no feedback into the system for possible corrections and so on. As far as the IBIS procedure, see the following..

IBIS Procedure

INS performs background checks using the "IBIS" database for all types of
applications and petitions, whether filed at the regional Service Centers or
the local District Offices. These checks occur within 15 days of receiving
the case and remain valid for 35 days. If the adjudication occurs more than
35 days after the IBIS check, a new check is required.

These timeframes can become an issue for Adjustment of Status (I-485)
applications. In those cases, the Service Center sends an approval notice
directing the applicant to the Local District Office for a passport stamp. If
the passport stamp is done within 35 days of the last IBIS check, no
additional check is needed. If a further IBIS check is needed before the
passport can be stamped, it may take only a day at many of the local
offices. However, if the check results in a "hit" (a match with a record on file
of a person with a criminal issue or other serious problem) the case may
take much longer to resolve.

Note that, since IBIS is a name check system, if one has a very common
name there may be a "hit" based on the record of some other person who
happens to have the same name. In the event of a hit, the local office is
required to place a stamp in the passport as evidence of permanent
resident status, valid for 30 days only. This stamp will provide evidence of
authorization to work and will allow travel for the 30-day period. No mention
was made regarding procedures if the matter is not cleared up within 30
days but, presumably, the person could obtain another stamp if needed.

For more, see the following link about CLASS and IBIS from AILA's president elect.

http://www.aila.org/contentViewer.aspx?bc=10,911,576,3048

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the inputs ...

Thanks everyone for sharing your views about the status of this case.....

Honda

security checks, name checks, whatever

They take more than 6 months and I see a lot of people waiting for more than 1 year and counting.

I got an interview a month ago, in Dec, 2003 and I have to wait at least 5 more months minimum to get my name cleared. I just desperately hope that i wait no more than 6 months.

GOD HELP ME!

#I'll go back to my country and contribute my profession to the well being of my country. And the dead line is this summer. I'm just sick and tired of wating and wasting my youth here. I just don't want to go back to my country with a hatred of America.