damaged certificate

taurus79

my certificate was damaged due to a flooding in my basement, my picture and signature is missing, n i did not make a copy. Is my certificate still valid, can it be authenticated as a true copy. I am in the process of filing for my spouse to live with me. Is there an alternative other than filing the N-565 to get a replacement which i hear is a lengthy process it might take up to 6mths to a yr to receive the new certificate.

Any assistance would be appreciated

If you submit a copy of your passport that would be OK for the I-130 [be sure to include at least your A# because even though you are naturalized, the A-file still exists.]

USCIS can check your status internally if you provide sufficient information with the I-130 regarding the situation about your N-565. Make copies of what you have on hand. Include your old A# and Certificate # so they can look you up. Provide alternate photo ID.

The N-565 is now filed at a Service Center and you will get a receipt notice and be able to check status.

thanks for your reply, unfortunately i did not apply for my passport, is there anything else i can use on the I-130 instead of waiting on a replacement
would my A# and certificate # be sufficient, couldnt USCIS check to verify if im a citizen.

Other than a US passport and a Naturalization Certificate, there's no other proof of your US citizenship. Yes, USCIS can verify the information, but you need to provide a hard copy too. This is why, it's always the best to apply for a US PP once you acquire the citizenship.

Other than a US passport and a Naturalization Certificate, there's no other proof of your US citizenship. Yes, USCIS can verify the information, but you need to provide a hard copy too. This is why, it's always the best to apply for a US PP once you acquire the citizenship.
What hard copy do you refer to? I person may loose the certificate before applying for the passport, updating the SSN and changing name on the driving licence (if the name change took place). What can he/she send in this case? It is always handy to have a copy of the certificate, but it is not required in order to file for the replacement.

What hard copy do you refer to? I person may loose the certificate before applying for the passport, updating the SSN and changing name on the driving licence (if the name change took place). What can he/she send in this case? It is always handy to have a copy of the certificate, but it is not required in order to file for the replacement.

I think he was referring to a copy of the "damaged certificate" being filed with the I-130. The damaged certificate itself must be filed with the N-565.

I said hard copy, not original.
Hard copy: A hard copy is a printed copy of information.
Original: It's self-explanatory. Even a 5 year old wouldn't need the definition for this.

An original NC is not valid without the USCIS stamp on it. How would an individual explain the originality of a duplicated (Copy of original) NC when the USCIS stamp doesn't show up on the copied paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my bad. I skipped the fact that the OP still has the damaged certificate. Typically, the questions on this forum revolve around lost certificates.

thanks for all your comments, so i guess the best option is to file for a replacement and hope i get it back before the 6months and ill definitely file for my PP once i receive it as also make copies.. Ive learnt alot

Consider getting a Passport card too along with the Passport book when you do apply, as will act as a secondary source to prove Citizenship.

Once you get the documents in hand -- If u have access to a scanner make scanned copies (on NC/passport book & card , and file electronically).

Go in for a replacement as soon a possible. Once you get your certificate, apply for a Passport. Make sure that you make copies of your original certificate and passport to avoid similar such incidents.