• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

CP vs AOS with high case number

ghola

Hello everyone!

I've been reading the posts here that date back over one year, and it seems that people have quite different experiences with AOS (some painful). I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice based on their experiences.

I won the DV-2003, but my case number is very high: AS39xxx. I opted to go with CP in my home country, but this means I might have to wait till August or September before my case number is current (ie. all case numbers become current, most likely)

What I'd like to know is:

1)How long does it take for the consulate to set up an interview date? If my case number becomes current only in Sept, that gives me only 1 month for them to send a packet to me here in the US. That sounds like it's cutting it too close. But since the State Dept releases the numbers a month in advance, does that mean the consulate in my home country will start setting up interview dates a month in advance?

2)I am in the US right now with a F-1 visa which will expire in July. My school will be applying to extend my visa since my studies are not completed yet. Will my DV process affect this extension of F-1 status?

3) Even though I've chosen CP, can I try AOS as well? The problem is that INS won't take my case until my case number is current, but the processing time for my district office (Newark) is 120 days now. So if I waited till August or September, there would not be enough time anyway.

Thanks for any advice, and good luck to everyone else trying to get a green card!

Better get your F-1 extention first before doing AOS.
I think that you have a good chance to do CP than AOS. But it depends on your country too? Where are you from (what country)? If you are subject to 21 days waiting period then it will cause trouble.
By the way, you mentioned that INS don't accept your case. Did you fgo to your local BCIS and ask them instead of depending in the INS toll free help line?

Hi pwdg, thanks for replying ;)

I am from Singapore. I don't think the 21 day waiting period applies in my case. (You mean the security checks? If so, it doesn't apply to Singapore)

Way back in October 2002, when I first received the lottery results, I went to the local INS office and asked, but only one person there had even heard about the lottery and knew what it was. They told me that I couldn't be processed until my case number became current.

But this is the local INS office, not a regional processing center. Does it make a difference? I think I fall under the jurisdiction of the Vermont Center, but it's too far for me to travel there. I've never tried the INS phone help line.

Another question: Even if I don't try AOS, will I have a problem extending my F-1? Does the State Dept (Or whichever agency it is) check and see that I am waiting for the green card lottery to be processed, and deny me the F-1 extension based on that?

Thanks!

I would not know if the state dept will deny your F-1 or not. You may want to ask a lawyer about that.
You need to submit your AOS to your local INS not to vermont. Your Local INS will process the case. It is diffucult to write replies to all your questions. If you want me to call you, please send me your tel number as a private message. Then I can answer easily.