CP in Chennai how long for Parents ?

Congratulations, VisaApp!
(just came back from visiting your thread)

You must be relieved that the (especially) long immigration process for your parents is finally over. :) It's nice to know that those of us who were all posting on this thread had happy endings with our process (although there were some with minor glitches).

Good luck with your parents' and GC arrival.

Congrats, Jyo and Visaapp!!

Jyo, the SSN should usually arrive 2-3 weeks after the beneficiary has arrived in the US. My wife had a similar situation, we waited about 4 weeks and called the 800 number for SSA. After providing all the details, we were informed that SSA had no record of an application for her. Either the consulate or USCIS had dropped the ball in forwarding the information to SSA. So, we ended up going to the local office and re-applying, we had to wait another 4 weeks :mad:

I would suggest that you call SSA right away and ascertain if they have atleast received the paperwork from USCIS.

Thank you, Jen and Az. Good to see both of you back! I will definitely call the SSA to see whether they received my mother's application for an SSN from the USCIS.

Jaise, Visaapplicant, Jenimmi & Others - hello to all of you and congratulations on your achievement....

Was following your posts and they give a lot of informaton - THanks...

Me too have applied for Consular Processing at Chennai.

A couple of questions on PCC
1. I have stayed in 3 localities - Ooty, Mysore, Bangalore. Do I need Police Clerance Certificate from all 3 localities or current locality (Bangalore) is enough ?
2. Also - my passports have been renewed in Feb 2006 at the Passport office, Bangalore so as per the website - it says if passport is issued less than 6 months before interview date - PCC is needed only from Passport Office. Is this condition valid for renewed passports OR for newly issued passports only ?

Question on Financial Support
1. Can we show own funds for financial support ? If yes - how much should we show ? I have been in US on H1 and have at least 20K $. Is this enough ?
2. What additional docs do we need to sign for the affidavit of support - if I am supporting my wife and kid ?

Please clarify based on your experiences.

Thanks
Abdul

Jaise, Visaapplicant, Jenimmi & Others - hello to all of you and congratulations on your achievement....

Was following your posts and they give a lot of informaton - THanks...

Me too have applied for Consular Processing at Chennai.

A couple of questions on PCC
1. I have stayed in 3 localities - Ooty, Mysore, Bangalore. Do I need Police Clerance Certificate from all 3 localities or current locality (Bangalore) is enough ?
2. Also - my passports have been renewed in Feb 2006 at the Passport office, Bangalore so as per the website - it says if passport is issued less than 6 months before interview date - PCC is needed only from Passport Office. Is this condition valid for renewed passports OR for newly issued passports only ?

Question on Financial Support
1. Can we show own funds for financial support ? If yes - how much should we show ? I have been in US on H1 and have at least 20K $. Is this enough ?
2. What additional docs do we need to sign for the affidavit of support - if I am supporting my wife and kid ?

Please clarify based on your experiences.

Thanks
Abdul

Thanks. I applied for my parents and they got immigrant visa at Mumbai. Your case is employment based (I suppose) with wife and child at Chennai. Hence I do not have specific answers to all your questions. However some general things:

Please follow Chennai consulate instructions regarding PCC. Sometimes consulate info is different than NVC. However PCC will be checked by consulate so follow consulate info. In general, PCC from current locality and passport office (whether one or both depending on passport issuance) are fine. PCC from more than one locality are not needed.

You can certainly show own funds. Did you have to file I864 (affidavit of support) with NVC? Please check with NVC, consulate. You may want to refer "Follow to Join" sticky thread in Family Based forum.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update.

I am a resident of Bangalore and my passport is also issued in Bangalore. So I guess I have to get PCC from Bangalore Passport office and Bangalore Local Police Station.

My worry is whether I have to get additional PCC from Mysore and Ooty also.

So - does all consulates in India ask for PCC only from current locality and passport office ?

Thanks
Abdul

Thanks for the update.

I am a resident of Bangalore and my passport is also issued in Bangalore. So I guess I have to get PCC from Bangalore Passport office and Bangalore Local Police Station.

My worry is whether I have to get additional PCC from Mysore and Ooty also.

So - does all consulates in India ask for PCC only from current locality and passport office ?

Thanks
Abdul

Please follow Chennai consulate instructions regarding PCC. I think they are quite clear. Also refer to Jaise, Jenimmi, Jyostna, AZguy's experience in Chennai.

Hi,
Please help me decide CP Vs I-485
How long it takes for CP process in Chennai consulate once the PD becomes current?
Any website links to track this info

does anyone knows how long does the I130 approval takes for aprents, at VSC. My application

I130 recept date: 12-Jan 2007
Approval: ??
can anyone tell me how long would this take?
I will update my case here.
thanks.

does anyone knows how long does the I130 approval takes for aprents, at VSC. My application

I130 recept date: 12-Jan 2007
Approval: ??
can anyone tell me how long would this take?
I will update my case here.
thanks.

I130 @ VSC - applied Sept 2007, approved end of March 2007

Now that your dates are current - EB2/Apr 2004, you should be able to file concurrent I140/485 instead of going for CP. From what I heard, you need to wait for years to get appointment in Chennai due to the time it takes for them to research your case. My suggestion would be to go for Adjustment of Status here locally instead of CP.

Hi,
Please help me decide CP Vs I-485
How long it takes for CP process in Chennai consulate once the PD becomes current?
Any website links to track this info

Now that your dates are current - EB2/Apr 2004, you should be able to file concurrent I140/485 instead of going for CP. From what I heard, you need to wait for years to get appointment in Chennai due to the time it takes for them to research your case. My suggestion would be to go for Adjustment of Status here locally instead of CP.

Hi,

Can you please tell us where you found out about the wait time for CP at chennai consulate. I was under the impression that CP was faster than 485.

Thanks

Hi folks

My interview is on 2-July-2007. I am on H1 currently and in Bangalore.

I have the following questions:
1. Which is a good hotel to stay in Chennai?
2. When is it most appropriate to land in Chennai from Bangalore. Is 28-June ok keeping in mind the lab tests and medical ? Can these be done on Friday and Saturday respectively?
3. Are the Lister lab/ Dr. Vijayalakshmi open on Saturday/ Sunday ?

Thanks
Abdul

Packet 4 not arrived/Appt june 05 please help-URGENT

Hi,

I am processing my mom's GC. It is in the last stage. She has not got the Packet 4 yet (consulate mailed it on May 14 and somehow decided to schedule the interview on june 05) and we came to know of the appointment only on May 26 through the website. Our consulate is Chennai. She is taking all the req documents to Blore VFS first thing tommrow morning(May 30). But it clearly states in the website that we have to give the docs 7-10 working days prior to the interview. How does VFS handle such a case? Please let me know if anyone has a clue. So stressed out right now.

Hello folks,

Anyone has the following info about NABC. My birth was not registrered so I got a letter from the Municipality with a statement mentioning the same.

The US Consulate at Chennai needs secondary evidence and affidavits. The website mentions that it should be execute before a first class magistrate.

My question is
1. Do the affidavits have to be executed in the CITY of BIRTH or it can be done in my current city of residence?
2. Can the affidavits be notarized by any NOTARY or we need first class magistrate only ? What is first class magistrate by the way?

Thanks
Abdul

Hello folks,

Anyone has the following info about NABC. My birth was not registrered so I got a letter from the Municipality with a statement mentioning the same.

The US Consulate at Chennai needs secondary evidence and affidavits. The website mentions that it should be execute before a first class magistrate.

My question is
1. Do the affidavits have to be executed in the CITY of BIRTH or it can be done in my current city of residence?
2. Can the affidavits be notarized by any NOTARY or we need first class magistrate only ? What is first class magistrate by the way?

Thanks
Abdul

1. I don't think it needs to be in your city of birth.
2. In India, Notary Public have same rank as first class magistrate. Our affidavits executed in front of Notary Public were fine with Mumbai consulate. Check "jyotsnar"'s experience with Chennai consulate in this thread.