CP in Chennai how long for Parents ?

Az,
Good for you! Congratulations!

My message still says that information is missing and a letter was sent on Aug 19th (for the DS-230).

My Dad's too!

Congrats, Az!!

When I called NVC today (before checking your post), the auto msg was still playing the old message. After checking your post, I called NVC again and this time spoke to an Operator. He said the case was completed today (Sep 8) and will be transferred to Madras in 2 - 4 weeks (I don't know why the auto msg said 8 weeks, may be it's standard for the auto msg to say 6 - 8 weeks ?) Tomorrow, I hope the auto msg will change to Case completed for ours.

Jyo, try to speak to an Operator to find out if yours is already completed. It should be completed at least by Monday I guess, as yours and mine are just a couple of days apart.

jenimmi said:
Congrats, Az!!

When I called NVC today (before checking your post), the auto msg was still playing the old message. After checking your post, I called NVC again and this time spoke to an Operator. He said the case was completed today (Sep 8) and will be transferred to Madras in 2 - 4 weeks (I don't know why the auto msg said 8 weeks, may be it's standard for the auto msg to say 6 - 8 weeks ?) Tomorrow, I hope the auto msg will change to Case completed for ours.

Jyo, try to speak to an Operator to find out if yours is already completed. It should be completed at least by Monday I guess, as yours and mine are just a couple of days apart.

Jen and AZ,

Congratulations on completion at NVC. Hopefully it will be transferred to consulate soon. Looking at Jaise and Yamini's timelines, their cases were transferred to consulate within 3 weeks of receipt of DS 230 at NVC. Your NVC experience and timelines will be very helpful.

One question, did anyone use a downloaded DS 230 part I printed on two one sided sheets (as opposed to a 2 sided sheet)? Of course I will have parents' orginal signatures.

Jyo,

Good luck with quick completion and transfer to consulate.

Jen,

Congratulations! Good for you too!

I did speak to an NVC operator. He sounded annoyed that I called again after the previous operator had explained to me that the automated message was wrong, and they had my DS-230 (do they note that we've called, and the number of times we do so??). Anyway, according to him, the form is still in their mailroom, and has not been reviewed. So, I'm not as lucky as Jen and Az.

Thank you visaapp, for your wishes. I used a two-sided downloaded copy of the DS-230 with the original signature of my mother. Originally, my mother sent me a one-sided copy on two sheets with nothing filled in but her signature. I photocopied the first side on the second one (with the original signature), and filled it out myself, to make it a two-sided copy. Don't know yet if that is acceptable to the NVC. Good luck to you too. You had to wait a very long time for your I-130 approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jyo -

I think the Operator you got is a moron. :rolleyes:
I have a feeling he was just making something up. Why would your case still be in the mail room? They should have started reviewing it already and it must be close to the "Case completed" stage, if the docs are in order. I don't believe they update every inquiry about a case, in their system. Perhaps in your case if you had made back-to-back calls, the same Operator happened to answer you and probably remembered.
I think you should call again Monday evening and speak to an Operator.

That was very clever of you to get the one-sided DS-230 to two sided form. :) Hopefully, it is accepted already.

Visaapp -
Thanks! I'm guesstimating case should be transferred within a couple of weeks.
Regarding 2 sided DS-230, since you have some time to get to that stage, you may want to print a couple of DS-230s online, the way Jyo mentioned and mail it to your parents and have them sign and mail it back to you.

Thank you Jen. You are very kind. I sure hope everything is okay with my application.

By the way, I read on another thread that your mother got her green card. Congratulations!

Jyo,

Jen may be right about the operator being a moron. I had called multiple times to enquire about my DS-230. All the operators that I spoke to said that it would take 4 weeks to review the DS-230. You submitted yours around the same time as Jen and myself. It doesn't make sense that yours would still be sitting in the mailroom after all this time. Perhaps you should call at a different time of day, and hopefully get a different operator. Good luck to you.

jyotsnar said:
Thank you Jen. You are very kind. I sure hope everything is okay with my application.

By the way, I read on another thread that your mother got her green card. Congratulations!

Thank you, Jyo.
My Mom's AOS process took a while for no specific reason. I was glad that it was over finally at 7 months.

In case if you haven't noticed already, we are having a discussion about getting medical insurance/ benefits for parents in the US after they become PRs -- link. If you have some ideas about this or even specific to the state you live in, please post. Thanks.

Jen,

Thank you very much for the medical insurance link. I live in Indiana, and have absolutely no knowledge of what the benefits are here. As I research things, I can probably post my findings. I have been postponing this, since I am so worried about the green card, I want that done first (my mother's visitor's visa was rejected twice, in 2003 and 2005 for no apparent reason, so I feel her coming here is jinxed :( ).

Jyo,

Thanks for the info on 2 sided DS 230. That was a good trick. I also have parents signatures on one sided sheet. I should either do like what you did or obtain their signatures again on 2 sided form in advance.

Good luck with your process.

Jen,

Thanks for the info on DS 230. I already have parents signatures on one sided sheet. But you are right, I should get their signatures on a 2-sided form. I just wanted to know whether you used a one sided DS 230 (2 sheets)and it worked?

green card.....

Hello everyone~

A question for you guys if you have a few moment to respond. As you know I am also petitioning my parents to secure a green card, right now we just recvd the DS 230.

I did petitioned my parents for green cards since they have been denied for a tourist visa for few times now and i really want them to come here and stay with us , not permanently though, since I still have 3 younger sibling still who still dependent on them

Here are the few questions I have.
- how soon they can live the country (U.S.) if they decided to leave.
- also how soon can they apply for re-entry permit. (if they overstay in the Phils. they do recommend to apply before leaving the country U.S.)

Its not their intention to stay in this country, but green card is the only way for me to get them here.

Thank you . I appreciate it...

Abs

visaapplicant said:
Jen,

Thanks for the info on DS 230. I already have parents signatures on one sided sheet. But you are right, I should get their signatures on a 2-sided form. I just wanted to know whether you used a one sided DS 230 (2 sheets)and it worked?

We used the 2 sided DS-230.

abs49080 said:
Here are the few questions I have.
- how soon they can live the country (U.S.) if they decided to leave.
- also how soon can they apply for re-entry permit. (if they overstay in the Phils. they do recommend to apply before leaving the country U.S.)

Its not their intention to stay in this country, but green card is the only way for me to get them here.
Abs

I think your parents can leave US anytime after they get their GC.
Again I think, your parents should apply for a re-entry permit before they leave US, if they plan to stay out of the US for more than a year, but less than 2 years.
I don't know the exact specifics of this, if you do a search on re-entry permit in the family based forum, you may find your answer and also on the USCIS website.

I finally spoke to an operator this evening and found out that my case was completed today, and will be transferred to Chennai in 2 to 4 weeks. Yay! :D So, visaapp, it looks like they accepted my DS-230.

The automated message still says the same thing about incomplete information.

Thank you so much, Jen and Az!

Yes, I saw that the automated message was updated today, and says that the case was completed on Sept 12th, and further instructions will be sent within 8 weeks.