couple of questions

legolas007

Registered Users (C)
im an f1 student here in US.

my mom and dad applied for asylum petition. they are referred to Immigration Judge and their court date is in October.
my questions are:

what should they expect on court?

on august 12th they can file for EAD.
can someone explain me in details how should they file and how long does it takes?
and can they work in different state than the one whey they applied for asylum in?

thanx in advance

It all depends on the case and how complicated it is, after 180 days from the date they submitted the asylum application they will be qualified for the EAD.
What to expect in court? they need to be prepared for cross examination by the immigration attorneys. They will need to submit all the evidence and supporting documents to the court and make an extra copy of everything for the UCIS Attorney. I don't see why they can't reside and work in a different state as long as they appear on time for the hearings.
to be sure ask the lawyer who handles the case
Good Luck

It shouldn't take too long to get EAD. Usually it is processed withing one month. They should be ready to answer lot of questions from the judge as well as from the prosecutor and their lawyer. The court can take a few hours (mine was about 4 hours). It's always worth trying to analyze what went wrong during the original interview and be prepared to answer similar questions. And of course a lot depends on the judge.
Good luck!

Download the I-765 form from the USCIS website. The form contains detailed and easy to understand directions on how to file as an asylum applicant.

They can work anywere in America. The only catch is that if they move they have to notify the court and ICE. This will usually result in the case being sent to another court (the court in your new state of residence).

thanx for help guys

can someone tell me what should i put under question 16. on I-765??

im really confused with that part.

they are referred to IJ. and i dont se that section there.

please help

Last edited by a moderator:
that is not your Immigration Status, use the visa code from the last time you entered USA.

ASYLE01 you said that they can apply after 180 days for the EAD, but that's not true, they can apply 150 days after not 180./