Country of Birth on US Passport

eddie_240

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Once you become a naturalized citizen, do you have an option of Not to put down you country/city of birth when applying for a US passport.

Is that possible.

Thanks

Ed

No, I don't think that is possible ANYWHERE. You're stuck with your place of birth for the rest of your life...

Eddie,

Ask the question in the US Citizenship forum. It was discussed a while ago, it seems you can write the name of the city you were born instead of the country.

If you look at US passport application, you see the following:

4. Place of Birth (City & State or City & Country as it is presently known)

This tells me that you can choose to have your city & state of birth as opposed to country of birth on your US passport.

They put Country of Birth and thats required. Only way that they put your city of birth is if the country doesnt exist anymore.

Want. Did you actually try that in your application? There is a provision in code so how can they deny if someone chooses to put city as place of birth?

When i went to the passport office, I asked them If I can do that. The agent went upstairs..came back and said only for countries that don't exist. Plus he went over how it would be problem in entering some countries that require place of birth listed as countries..go figure! I didn't care...i wanted a passport in2 hours ;)

You could argue with them if you really want your city listed...but in the end its better to have the place of birth listed as it is...for example, if you get a security clearance, its mentioned in all the forms & when i was going through that...the security officer verified using my passport...dont complicate things I guess!

They put Country of Birth and thats required. Only way that they put your city of birth is if the country doesnt exist anymore.

I have a city of birth as place of birth in my US passport.My country of birth exists.To make it easy you need to apply @ post office to have your application be processed by National passport center(NPC) located in Portsmouth,New Hempshire.When you apply in person @ Passport agency,it's possible to face an agent who does'nt know much.

US citizen since Oct 30,2009

Thanks for the replies guys.

Let me ask you this, even though you are a naturalized citizen are you given the same protection / privileges that are offered to a US born citizen?

YES. There is no distinction between a born and non-born US Citizen and law does not discriminate in this regard. You are equal to all and other US citizens and please live with this self-concept for the rest of your life.

I think if I am a custom's inspector, I'd be more suspicious of a passport without mention of place of birth than a passport that shows country of birth as high risk countries.

YES. There is no distinction between a born and non-born US Citizen and law does not discriminate in this regard. You are equal to all and other US citizens and please live with this self-concept for the rest of your life.

technically its true. However while coming back this past weekend, i saw lots of U.S citizens sent to secondary. And all of them were not your typical caucasian folks....So we are U.S citizens but still lots of profiling goes on.

Totally agree with you. In my personal opinion, people who are actually ashamed of their COB would want to have their place of birth removed. I was born in Pakistan which is currently labeled as "the most dangerous country on earth". Having said that, I have no issues with my 3 passports stating that fact. It is an absolute fact that I was born there. I am not ashamed of it, nor do I believe in hiding it. It is what it is, a simple fact of the matter :)
If someone has an issue of it, let them do what they deem is appropriate to quell their unease.

I think if I am a custom's inspector, I'd be more suspicious of a passport without mention of place of birth than a passport that shows country of birth as high risk countries.

Well, natuarlised citizens, of course, ARE treated differently because, 1. they cannot become president, and 2. they can be denaturalised. Of course, there aren't issues that affect our everyday lives, but let's not forget them.

technically its true. However while coming back this past weekend, i saw lots of U.S citizens sent to secondary. And all of them were not your typical caucasian folks....So we are U.S citizens but still lots of profiling goes on.

Hmmm.. I'd be pissed if they do that to me. I would definitely want an explanation from a manager or someone higher up. I would even file a formal complain of discrimination if need be.
Maybe an interesting thing would be to contact some TV network if they want to do a documentary on this.

For some reasons,anyone can be sent to secondary room even a US born citizen.There is not discrimination on this.

Well, natuarlised citizens, of course, ARE treated differently because, 2. they can be denaturalised. Of course, there aren't issues that affect our everyday lives, but let's not forget them.

A US born citizen can lose a US citizenship too.See US passport- Page 7 " 13- Loss of US citizenship"

Yes, but they cannot be denaturalised like those who were granted citizenship. The fact still remains that naturalised citizens can lose their citizenship for MORE reasons than natural-born citizens.