Could unemployment have ANY bearing on a N-400 decision?

Semi-conc'nt 04

Registered Users (C)
I've been employed for 8+ yrs., and never had a problem. However, the career landscape does not appear confident, anymore - even though I am considering whether to move out of state. (My N-400 application is just 3 months away)
I have W-2's and Tax returns for the past 8 yrs. I also will have some income for the current year - although it is very probable that I might be without a job, and drawing unemployment benefits at the time of interview.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Nothing to worry with respect to the N-400. Good luck with the job. If you lose your job feel free to apply for unemployment benefits it won't have any influence on your naturalization.

Certainly nothing to worry. Unemployement benefit is your legal right and a source of your income when you are not employed.

I have W-2's and Tax returns for the past 8 yrs.
Employment is not a requirement for naturalization, and collecting unemployment benefits also does not affect your eligibility. You are required to have paid taxes on income you have earnt.

On your application, list your employers for the past five years. If youhave any periods of unemployment will simply appear as "gaps" in these dates. I am unaware of the question whether anyone is collecting unemployment benefits ever having even come up in an interview - it is not asked on the application form, it simply does not affect your eligiblity. Even though tax transcripts are not specifically requested (unless you are applying after three years of marriage to a US citizen) I would suggest you apply for them and have them with you at the interview.

Be aware of the residency requirements for your -400 application, you must have resided in the area for at least 90 days before submitting your application. If you move after your application, before the oath is completed, this could also cause some delays when your case is transferred to another area office.

All posts are right. I lost my job just after few days as my N400 was accepted.
On my interview I was only asked 'what do you do now?' and nothing more about my unemployement status.

How recent was this?

All posts are right. I lost my job just after few days as my N400 was accepted.
On my interview I was only asked 'what do you do now?' and nothing more about my unemployement status.

I mean your N-400 approved while drawing unemployment just recently?

Very long periods of unemployment can have a bearing on the decision. If you have very long gaps of employment (over a year), they may suspect that you have income derived from illegal activities, like selling drugs or working for cash without paying taxes, and they would ask you to show how you supported yourself financially during those gaps. If they're not convinced by your answer, your case may be delayed until you submit documentation for your stated source of financial support (e.g. spouse's tax return, severance package, investments, etc.).