Cost of Citizenship

MartinAub

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering how much money on average has been put forth to gain citizenship - all included and not "just" the fees.

I mean initial visa (H1B) may be covered by the employer, but then it could get costly.

I'll find it a little "unreal" to talk only about the application fees.
I would think all in all with everything considered (even the decision leading to it) I spend well over 15k on this.

What's your "guestimate"?

I've spent less than 1K so far. $675 on the application itself, and a couple hundred on travel documents. My GC fee was waived due to my status as a refugee.

I don't count GC cost, because my parents were paying when I was a kid and until I was supported by them. Since then I spend for N-400 application, US Passport, US Passcard, Enhanced Driver License (this was expiring anyway). With photos, documents preparations, travel, xerox, etc around $2k probably.

No documents were checked by IO. Rocks!

I would think all in all with everything considered (even the decision leading to it) I spend well over 15k on this.

What's your "guestimate"?
Are you referring to just the N-400 process, or the entire chain of immigration processes starting with one's first F1 or H1 or whatever visa onto the green card and then finally to citizenship?

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire process Jackolatern - thanks for the link
I was in the US thus had to fly to Germany to get the H1B visa, all in all I'd say $2500 at the time, one renewal through employer (no cost to me), then GC with all copies, travel permit, condition removal etc, I'd say about $800, N-400 with all materials about $700 in fees, flight to interview about $1500, flight to oath about $1500, passport about $200, income loss probably about $15000, lawyers about $5000