Coronavirus Delays - Late Start TN Status?

nellytech

Backstory I received my TN visa February 18 and headed back to Canada to pack my stuff and get ready for my flight within the next 3 weeks.

Fast forward to the coronavirus situation and it’s become a nightmare from what I’m hearing down there in the US. My company has sent all their workers to work from home and they warned me to stay in Canada to prevent any issues, spread or complications during this time frame until they “get stuff under control”.

My employer has no issue with me and has not terminated my contract to begin work and instead actually prefers I start work after this whole coronavirus situation dies down a little bit. They’ve urged me not to travel because I’ll simply have to follow quarantine standards and it’ll be difficult to get a SSN due to all social security offices being closed in the US, as well as 10 people limits on public gatherings in Virginia, plus I won’t be able to fill out an I-9 form since everyone is working from home, and I-9 forms must be filled out in person, just to name a few of many reasons.

My only concern is I do not know about my status regarding re entry in the US. Is my TN still valid or useable if I enter the US more then 2 months after my initial TN approval? I have no idea how long this coronavirus pandemic will last but I don’t want to be on bad terms with CBP upon entry whenever that is at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, once you are approved AND your work relationship is still viable, your TN is still good. HOWEVER, You may not be able to enter however, based on ongoing/changing travel/crossing restrictions.

Can you work: ask your company can they help with SSN by mail.... Only TN does not mean you can start working you need SSN also.....
Validity: your TN is valid till the time given and till company keeps you. Whether you work from US or Canada.

You don't need SSN to work; they may delay paying you, but that would be the employers decision.

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, it seems nelsona is correct I can begin work prior to getting an SSN however there will be a delay in payment. Usually, it won't be long but I can imagine the backlog the SSA offices will have now that they've been closed and no one can predict when they will reopen. As of now my company has not rescinded my offer nor terminated employment and simply said they will continue to update me on a weekly basis. My only fear is whenever this dies down a bit, and going through pre-flight customs if an officer asks why it took me so long to begin employment and cancels my TN Visa. Do you think I should bring my original TN package when I do fly?

I think you should be happy to have a job and TN visa. Keep that and stop thinking. This won't be over soon it's for few months.
Think about being alive, safe and healthy and with your family. And able to pay bills.

Haha your absolutely right. More important things to worry about. The way it's looking right now doesn't look to have an end anytime soon. Wish you all blessings, safety, and health throughout this nightmare.

Thanks.