Control of Spam Posts in the Forums

monica1

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your suggestions/ideas for effective control of spam posts in this thread. Thanks.

Hi

I am not sure you can get rid of spam completley, but as you know I have my own forum on it Mods can give people and infraction and give life time ban.

Have you spoken to the company who produced this forum software?

Hi

I noticed some spam in the Austrlian section and H1 B setion, I tried to delete but could not pull the posts up, sorry

I delete such spam whenever I see it. Giving moderators in all threads access to delete such thread would definately help.

Allow users to ModAlert

Add a button ModAlert. When the user see a spam, s/he clicks on the button, and immediately moderators will be alerted. The moderator can check if the post is spam and if found so, proper action can be taken. That way, moderators doesn't have to hunt through forums to see each and every thread/post is spam.

Edit: Well, I see there already exists such a button.

what programming language are you using for the forum? Are you able to program changes?

Set up a counter to track number of posts, and posts that are not spam by username, Also set up a boolean variable for the username, whether to authenticate posts by email or not.

Until a new user successfully posts acceptably, require them to authenticate posts through email before it shows up in the forum.

User submits post,
display a message, that since they are new, they must authenticate who they are with an email reply auto generated to their email box before the post displays in the forum.
once they get the email, they submit the link that it is really them
then the forum post lands in forum, color coded for moderators to approve.
If a moderator reads the post and believes they are legitimate, they can choose to allow the
forum post to be viewed by everyone. They can then allow the user to post without authenticating in the future, or if not sure, keep them on the email rule until they appear legitimate.

If they fail to authenticate, throw out the forum post after 1 hour automatically so it doesn't even land on the forum for a moderator to see. If the user never submits a successful post, after 2 weeks, auto delete their username.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spam control

Is it possible to track IP addresses from where spam postings are made, and then subsequently block those IP addresses

- Siddharth

Its possible

Sid,
Yes, its possible and we have done that in the past many times, especially with users who post abusive language on the forums.
I will change the permissions of all spam moderators so that they can view the IP addresses. Sometimes spam posts are from different IPs but if you notice the same IP address, you can email it to me and I shall warn and then ban the user. The attached screen shows you how to find the IP address. Next to any post are small icons, one of them looks like a monitor. When you focus the mouse cursor on that icon, it displays the IP.

Let me know if that helps. Thanks for your time and input.

are you considering any law suit against the FBI NameCheck division on behafe of the the GC delay due to that ? Is it feasible ?

Have Gif verification for every submit. just like the one you have when you create a new gmail account... that would reduce automated spam and will not requrie a email verification of the threads.
Also enable content check after every submit. the content check should look for keywords like www, http and aleart the SPAM moderator...

Hi Monica,
Is it possible to give Mods permission to Ban a user or only admins can? I ha ve noticed a user by the name 'greatwalla' that has been posting shoe advertising all over the board. Can we Ban this user? I have sent him a private message asking him to stop spamming.

Also can I be added as mod on the non-immigrant section? I am unable to delete spam from this section. I proactively scan all over for spam.

thanks banned this user, we restrict banning permissions to administrators only.
I shall add you moderator to non-immig section.
If you see certain words that are being used in spam posts, email them to me,. From the admin section, its possible to mass delete spam posts.

thanks
Monica

I am around the site a fair bit, yet I believe can only moderate two forums. Is there any chance I could get thread delete permissions in more forums so I can help?

Monica,
Another spammer: nikejordanaaa
There are a few other users that need to be banned.

Also what's the difference between Moderator and Super Moderator and Admins?

I think the keyword to be banned is something like: shoes, nike etc

There are also a fair amount of electronics advertising around. I'm going around in every section to do some cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks
banned this spammer. Deleted all threads containing words shoes and nike.
We do have an option in our software to censor certain words but I am not sure it works perfectly. Will add "nike", "nokia" etc and see if that works.
The difference between moderators, supermoderators and admins is the level of permissions granted to them. Admins have all possible privileges. Supermoderators have more privileges than moderators, for e.g they can ban users whereas moderators cant.

Monica,
Another spammer: nikejordanaaa
There are a few other users that need to be banned.

Also what's the difference between Moderator and Super Moderator and Admins?

I think the keyword to be banned is something like: shoes, nike etc

There are also a fair amount of electronics advertising around. I'm going around in every section to do some cleaning.

Hi

Email me ( monica at the rate immigration dot com ) and let me know to what forums you would like access. thanks

I am around the site a fair bit, yet I believe can only moderate two forums. Is there any chance I could get thread delete permissions in more forums so I can help?