Continious Stay

at123

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I hv gotten my GC in Aug 05. I maybe going out of the country for period more than a year starting Mar 07 and assuming, I come back around Mar 09. Given the abv, hv two queries:

1. If I come back into US every 4/5 months and stay for day or two and go back to other country. Would perios from Aug 05 to Mar 07 be counted twoards 30/60 stay and still qualify 'Continious stay' defination?

2. I could potentialy file re-entry permit and still enter US every 4/5 months and stay for day or two. Would then Aug 05 to Mar 07 count towards 30/60 stary and qualify for 'Continious Stay' defination.

Request anyone to please throw some insight into the abv situtions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to be away from the US more than 1 year, you definitely need to get a reentry permit before you go.

Reentering the US every 4-5 months as an attempt to circumvent the 6 month rule for continuous residency is a risky strategy that may not work, especially if your overseas trip involves employment.

You may wish to search prior threads on this subject, and in particular the most recent. In this instance, the applicant was extremely lucky. Your experience may or may not be similar - just don't assume you'll be successful simply because the law covering this is rather vague.

From my experience, coming back every 4/5 month for around a week is a very risky strategy for citizenship process. You absolutely should file for a reentry permit in order to maintain your green card if you are going to do this.

I would say coming back every 4 months for 1.5-2 months might be safer. Still no guarantees. You should work for a US employer, maintain house, have utility bills etc in order to increase your chances during citizenship process.