Consular Protection?

cafeconleche

Registered Users (C)
As asylees in the US, are we entitled to US consular protection? I travel on an RP, and no passport, so obviously, I can't run to the consulate or embassy of my COP (not that I'd want to, but when you're desperate?), so what would I do? Say I'm in Bogota or something, and some fighting breaks out. Can I ask for protection within the compound of the US embassy?

As asylees in the US, are we entitled to US consular protection? I travel on an RP, and no passport, so obviously, I can't run to the consulate or embassy of my COP (not that I'd want to, but when you're desperate?), so what would I do? Say I'm in Bogota or something, and some fighting breaks out. Can I ask for protection within the compound of the US embassy?

Thankful could correct me if I am wrong but as an ex-asylee, you could seek protection there since your COP country wont help you. However, you will not have any rights to be evacuated by the U.S Embassy since you are not U.S Citizens. I read a story about the Lebanon war few years ago where GC parents were not evacuated but U.S Citizen kids were. But i dont know if being an asylee would help us in any way.

Yah, it's a grey area, isn't it? I'm sure the Geneva Convention has something about it, but I'm just not sure how it works. I want to go to some troubled regions of Europe, like Bosnia and Kosovo, and I just wanted to see what I could do in case something were to happen.

Yah, it's a grey area, isn't it? I'm sure the Geneva Convention has something about it, but I'm just not sure how it works. I want to go to some troubled regions of Europe, like Bosnia and Kosovo, and I just wanted to see what I could do in case something were to happen.

The United States government has no obligation to protect anyone who is not an American citizen. In the recent few crises, Washington was able to evacuate Refugee Travel Document holders on an "as resources allow," limited basis. But this is discretionary and nothing is assured for the future.

BTW, I think you raised an excellent point that is often ignored by people. If you are a refugee who really fears your government, why would you travel on your country's passport? If a disaster happens while you are abroad, do you want to deal with the government that persecutes you?