confusion on affidavit of support

bellalondon

Registered Users (C)
Hi there -

Currently on f1 status, my USC husband and I are putting together the whole package for my GC application.

After reading the DIY How to apply for a Green Card thread, I still have some confusion about the Affidavit of Support.

My USC husband is a student and currently does not have a job. I do have a full time job (OPT). My salary is above the required 125% above poverty level for a household of two people.

So, he can include my income on the form since I am a member of the same household.

Do I still need to fill out another AOS? Or does it matter that we already included my salary in the first form?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks for the clarification.

I re-read the I-864. Since I am in my husband's household, we have the same address and everything, he has counted my income in the household income.

Here's the part I missed:
"If you included the income of your spouse listed in 21c, or any child listed in 21d, or any dependent listed in 21e, or any other relative listed in 21g, each one of these individuals must be over 18 years of age and must complete Form I-864A."

But also:

"If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted on line 21a),evidence that his/her income will continue from the current source after obtaining lawful permanent resident status must be provided. He/she does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he/she has accompanying children."

I am the spouse but I am also the intending immigrant. Does this still mean I have to fill out the I-864A?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you don't have to fill another form. However you want to get a letter from your employer that you work full time (and if possible (depending on your relations with your employer) that they plan on keeping you).

Thanks Kittenkat.

Would a general letter from my boss on company letterhead be enough?

Or should I have my boss add more?

Example: (any suggestions and edits welcome)

To whom it may concern:

Bellalondon is a full-time employee of XXX Company. Her position is that of YYY. Her current salary is $zzzzz.

We hope Bellalondon will continue her employment here at the company in the future.

Sincerely,

Bellalondon's boss

Last edited by a moderator:
That's perfect one. We got something like that too from dad's company when he submitted the affidavit for me. Frankly from personal experience (and what I read from other people) as long as you make enough they don't care too much about the affidavit docs. We were not even asked to show latest tax return (which was next year already at the time of interview).