Conditional permanent resident status after new 180-day rule

sfsd

Registered Users (C)
I just received the “Welcome Notice” which says that my “application for permanent residence has been approved” and that I “should receive it (new Permanent Resident Card) within the next 3 weeks”. Although I’m really pleased to see this notice, I’m a little confused about the following sentences in the letter.

Your new card will expire two years from when you became a permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires. We recommend you apply several months before your card expires”.

I thought the conditional permanent resident status is for marriage based applications. My case is based on NIW. I am the primary petitioner in this case, although my wife got her application approved 3 years ago, as a secondary petitioner. And her status is not conditional. I’m just wondering why my status is conditional. Does this have anything to do with my probably still ongoing background investigation? Is this conditional status common to cases like mine?

Thanks for any suggestions and comments.

My PD is 2/26/2003

Just a guess: looks like your NC is not cleared.
Another thread suggests that the USCIS is giving conditional GC's for such cases.
Who cares??!!
You have to renew it every two years now. So what?
Congrats on your GC and enjoy your new peace of mind.

I just received the “Welcome Notice” which says that my “application for permanent residence has been approved” and that I “should receive it (new Permanent Resident Card) within the next 3 weeks”. Although I’m really pleased to see this notice, I’m a little confused about the following sentences in the letter.

Your new card will expire two years from when you became a permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires. We recommend you apply several months before your card expires”.

I thought the conditional permanent resident status is for marriage based applications. My case is based on NIW. I am the primary petitioner in this case, although my wife got her application approved 3 years ago, as a secondary petitioner. And her status is not conditional. I’m just wondering why my status is conditional. Does this have anything to do with my probably still ongoing background investigation? Is this conditional status common to cases like mine?

My PD is 2/26/2003

Go to local office talk to them.

My PD is 2/26/2003

Is this the online approval or a physical letter?

Absolutely. USCIS has no basis for issuing conditional green cards, except in EB5 cases or marriage-based IR cases where the marriage has been in existence less than two years.

I am also hearing from all my expert friends that they have never heard of a conditional greencard in a case like this. They all agree that this may be an administrative error on USCIS's part.

I am also hearing from all my expert friends that they have never heard of a conditional greencard in a case like this. They all agree that this may be an administrative error on USCIS's part.
ever heard about skipping namecheck untill month ago? ;) might be some new rule...

just got mine, & spouse's. good for 10 years. :) we probably never got stuck in NC.

PD: 05/2004 - ROW
RD: 06/2007
FP: 07/2007
Transferred to local office: 09/2007
Local office interview: 01/2008
Infopass, both I-485s approved, LUD on Card Ordered: 03/06/2008
Cards Rceived: 03/17/2008 :)

Wish you all will get yours soon!!

My PD is 2/26/2003

SFSD, I am yet to see an EB approval with 2 years of validity. I am the beneficiary of the namecheck memo and our welcome letters indicate that our cards are valid for 10 years. You are the only case I have heard of. So I agree with the other posts in this thread and with my earlier post where I think USCIS may have made an administrative error.

SFSD, I am yet to see an EB approval with 2 years of validity. I am the beneficiary of the namecheck memo and our welcome letters indicate that our cards are valid for 10 years. You are the only case I have heard of. So I agree with the other posts in this thread and with my earlier post where I think USCIS may have made an administrative error.

I do hope that USCIS made a mistake. I'll post the exact words that comes with the card once I receive it.

Thanks for sharing your stories.