Conditional Green Card Vs Permanent Green Card

BetterWorld

Registered Users (C)
What are the rights of a person when he is on conditional green card (2 year) Vs on permanent green card?

in terms of:

- employment
- Filing petition for parents or children

- Unemployment benefits?

- Travel, needs any visa to visit countries like UK, Australia etc?

- Min time to stay in US to sustain GC?

Thanks!

What are the rights of a person when he is on conditional green card (2 year) Vs on permanent green card?

in terms of:

- employment
- Filing petition for parents or children

- Unemployment benefits?

- Travel, needs any visa to visit countries like UK, Australia etc?

- Min time to stay in US to sustain GC?

Thanks!

All the rights and responsibilities are the same -- the only exception I'm aware of is certain government jobs (particularly the military) that allow permanent residents except for conditional green card holders.

Petition for parents

Can a green card holder petition for his parents, kids, wife?

All the rights and responsibilities are the same -- the only exception I'm aware of is certain government jobs (particularly the military) that allow permanent residents except for conditional green card holders.

Permanent Green Card

The rights are absolutely the same.

What's the difference with conditional and permanent resident card?

In my case, I got married with a GC holder at 08/27/2010. And as of today, 08/23/2012 we are still together, happily.
He just applied for N-400 (US Citizenship application for Naturalization) last 07/21/2012 and is just waiting for the interview and oath.

So by the time he becomes a US Citizen, we are married for two years and more-- and that makes me eligible
for the permanent resident card, right?..

Im just confused , if for permanent resident green card to works, do you have to be married to a US CITIZEN or even for a GREEN CARD holder with a two years and more marriage?..

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just confused , if for permanent resident green card to works, do you have to be married to a US CITIZEN or even for a GREEN CARD holder with a two years and more marriage?..
It does not matter your spouse is Citizen or GC holder for type of card you are getting. If marriage is less then 2 years, you are getting conditional GC and need to remove conditions after 2 years.