Concurrent filing wait time, passport expiring

malraj

Hi

1.I concurrent filed in November 2016 for mom in Baltimore, finished biometrics two weeks ago, the operator says March 2016 is the date until which W/L is cleared for family category. Is parent in the same waiting list as other family category? How long does GC take after biometrics to interview?

2. Mom is on visitor's visa, her Indian passport expiring in August. She cannot travel back to India due to age. Should I wait for GC to pursue pp renewal? Can it be done by somebody else in India if she gives power of attorney?

1. There are many family-based categories, F1, F2A, F2B, F3, F4, each with their own, very different wait times, so it doesn't make any sense to talk about a "family category. And your mom is in the Immediate Relative category (spouse, under-21 unmarried child, and parent of USC) which never has any wait for visa numbers as it has unlimited visa numbers.
2. Doesn't matter. A passport is only needed for international travel; if she is not traveling out of the country, she doesn't need a passport. The only other issue is that she needs some form of ID to go to appointments like biometrics (which she already did) and the interview if there is one. If she has no other ID then a valid passport is needed as an ID. Also, if she wants to renew her passport, it doesn't make sense why you are talking about people in India renewing her passport; if she is here, why isn't she renewing her passport here?

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I might have been given wrong info by the agent. The Indian passport cannot be renewed in USA if the person is on visitor's visa. It has to be done in India. She is not able to travel back and forth. Maybe we have time and don't have to worry about that. What is the timeline from biometrics to interview?