Comprehensive Immigration Reform - Todays meeting

I watched C-span...and nothing...nothing on retrogression......

We are done...basically....no use calling senators...it looks like...

Good news...is H1 can be extended....

Let us all live with it

Dan

Yesterday NPR mentioned today's hearing but all it talked about were illegal mexicans and farm owners :mad: Hellooooooooooooo what about legals????????

Yes....

The more we shout ...the more we are ignored...I told you guys....

If the economy needs more people....YES....they will act on it...

These retrogression matters.......is of no use.....it is not going to affect economy in any way....H1s can renewed....then what do we want....just keep working and working.....

Sure we are not going to leave US to Germany for instance....where economy is not that good any more....

So why are we so are desperate.......I do not know why..let is come when it come....only when I speak to my friends....I begin to think...

Answers please

Dan

The bill is about the ILLEGAL ALIENS. Nothing new.

Nothing new there. The bills were put in place even before the lack of visa numbers issue. The core of those bills are about the illegal aliens, not us. I am afraid this country is heading to the wrong direction though...

Our hope now is the budget provision which should be discussed in October as well. Let's put this way, the greencard process historically has been taken from 3 to 5 years to get completed. My guess is that the government will take whatever measures to try to keep it that way. Not longer, not shorter for now. We'll see.

Regarding the visa bulletin, it seems it is a huge suspense for something that may probably have no changes at all from the October visa bulletin.

danp said:
Yes....

The more we shout ...the more we are ignored...I told you guys....

If the economy needs more people....YES....they will act on it...

These retrogression matters.......is of no use.....it is not going to affect economy in any way....H1s can renewed....then what do we want....just keep working and working.....

Sure we are not going to leave US to Germany for instance....where economy is not that good any more....

So why are we so are desperate.......I do not know why..let is come when it come....only when I speak to my friends....I begin to think...

Answers please

Dan

At least both groups were in favor of McCain bill, which means visa numbers may go upto 290,000.

and I think Mccain kennedy bill also talks about the counting of only primary benificiary against the visa number ? and then the total number to 290K somethink. So if this gets thru, my take is, we're thru.

which line says so?

Neha,

which line in the Mccain-Kennedy bill says so? I read it a couple of times and couldnt find that stuff...but bumping numbers from 140k to 290k is welcome...atleast the dates will move forward...some relief

Where did you see that both groups are in favor the McCain bill ?
I read all the transcripts out of
http://judiciary.senate.gov/schedule.cfm
on this hearing and I see that no one there are supporting amnesty program as proposed by the McCain bill. Therefore to my understanding most people are in favor of the Cornyn Kyl bill guidelines, not the S.1033.

drhnp said:
At least both groups were in favor of McCain bill, which means visa numbers may go upto 290,000.

Dream..

After sending all these emails and these immigration Reforms ... It looks for me like a Dream never becomes true....... Wholly cow.... these People are going crazy... Especially DOS... how they are showing up with their bulletins, they are not good at anything.... They dont know what to count.. what to not... Whom to care about not to ..............

Why dont we sue DOS and INS, as our great seniors did against INS for 485-Backlog cases.........

From today's disscussions, 3 people had bias for McCain-Kennedy, 1 (Sen. Cornyn) supported his own bill, remaining 3 expressed the need for reforms but were non-commital in showing support for any particular bill.

1. Douglas Massey
I believe the McCain-Kennedy immigration legislation moves us substantially in this direction and for this reason I support it as a scientist and member of the National Academy of Sciences,

2. Frank Sharry
..pros\cons of bills discussed prior...
Nevertheless, the authors have rightly steered clear of an “enforcement only” or “enforcement first” approach and have developed a number of ideas worthy of consideration and inclusion in a Senate Judiciary Committee bill. It is my hope and recommendation that this Committee, led by its Chairman, will start with the McCain-Kennedy template and include the best of the proposals before it in a way that builds momentum and support in the full Senate for workable comprehensive reform.

3. Patrick Leahy
In May, Senators McCain and Kennedy introduced their bill, S.1033, the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act. I have said many times that I believe the McCain-Kennedy bill is the appropriate starting point for the Judiciary Committee to consider immigration reform. This bill recognizes that much of the nation’s economy depends on immigrant labor, and that some of those immigrants do not have legal status.

4. Sen. Cornyn
I believe that the bill that Senator Kyl and I have introduced strikes the appropriate balance

Further agenda for Oct 20th from www.immigration-law.com
----------------------------------------
AILA has reported that the Senate Judiciary Committe is markedup a very important legislative bill on October 20, 2005, coming Thursday, to discuss the Budget Reconciliation and Immigration proposal that can give some relief to the current H-1B blackout and EB immigrant visa number retrogression. According to the AILA, the proposal includes the following:

* Recapture of 300,000 unused H-1B numbers
* Recpature of 90,000 unused EB immigrant visa numbers
* Exempting spouses and minor children of EB principal aliens from the annual EB quota limit
* Permit filing of I-485 even during the visa number retrogression.

-------------------------------------------------

I just hope they don't delete\scale down the "legal employment part\ immigrant visa number " section of the bills before accepting it (similar to the way they did for the recapture of 100 000 visas which they marked it only towards Schedule A folks).

Where are the docs ?

GCdreamer2006 said:
Where did you see that both groups are in favor the McCain bill ?
I read all the transcripts out of
http://judiciary.senate.gov/schedule.cfm
on this hearing and I see that no one there are supporting amnesty program as proposed by the McCain bill. Therefore to my understanding most people are in favor of the Cornyn Kyl bill guidelines, not the S.1033.

Guys ..where are the documents which have details of the hearing ?

True, but the spotlight and the press such as cnn.com gave more emphasis to publish the declaration of the ones who focused on the non-amnesty guidelines, such as the declaration from the CHERTOFF.

Interesting I haven't see anything scheduled for the October 20th on
http://judiciary.senate.gov/

I am wondering if it doesn't appear there because it is just the initial hearing...

avi101 said:
From today's disscussions, 3 people had bias for McCain-Kennedy, 1 (Sen. Cornyn) supported his own bill, remaining 3 expressed the need for reforms but were non-commital in showing support for any particular bill.

1. Douglas Massey
I believe the McCain-Kennedy immigration legislation moves us substantially in this direction and for this reason I support it as a scientist and member of the National Academy of Sciences,

2. Frank Sharry
..pros\cons of bills discussed prior...
Nevertheless, the authors have rightly steered clear of an “enforcement only” or “enforcement first” approach and have developed a number of ideas worthy of consideration and inclusion in a Senate Judiciary Committee bill. It is my hope and recommendation that this Committee, led by its Chairman, will start with the McCain-Kennedy template and include the best of the proposals before it in a way that builds momentum and support in the full Senate for workable comprehensive reform.

3. Patrick Leahy
In May, Senators McCain and Kennedy introduced their bill, S.1033, the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act. I have said many times that I believe the McCain-Kennedy bill is the appropriate starting point for the Judiciary Committee to consider immigration reform. This bill recognizes that much of the nation’s economy depends on immigrant labor, and that some of those immigrants do not have legal status.

4. Sen. Cornyn
I believe that the bill that Senator Kyl and I have introduced strikes the appropriate balance

Further agenda for Oct 20th from www.immigration-law.com
----------------------------------------
AILA has reported that the Senate Judiciary Committe is markedup a very important legislative bill on October 20, 2005, coming Thursday, to discuss the Budget Reconciliation and Immigration proposal that can give some relief to the current H-1B blackout and EB immigrant visa number retrogression. According to the AILA, the proposal includes the following:

* Recapture of 300,000 unused H-1B numbers
* Recpature of 90,000 unused EB immigrant visa numbers
* Exempting spouses and minor children of EB principal aliens from the annual EB quota limit
* Permit filing of I-485 even during the visa number retrogression.

-------------------------------------------------

I just hope they don't delete\scale down the "legal employment part\ immigrant visa number " section of the bills before accepting it (similar to the way they did for the recapture of 100 000 visas which they marked it only towards Schedule A folks).

It's not a "hearing" so you will have to look at a different place.
There are "Executive Business Meetings" scheduled on Oct 20 though there is nothing that specifically mentions this. I would assume "budget related stuff would come under "business meetings". I really really hope so.

marlon2006 said:
Interesting I haven't see anything scheduled for the October 20th on
http://judiciary.senate.gov/
I am wondering if it doesn't appear there because it is just the initial hearing...

Seems like the immigration reform is being discussed on different forums with different stakeholders. I don't know how and if it all gets tied together.

Here's a site's brief listing on the upcoming agenda..
http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?pagename=leg_legislationlist661e
(I haven't researched further to see what this site is and if it is mentioned elsewhere.)

Here's one more about Oct 20 with a little more detail.
http://www.immigrationcontrol.com/Oct2005PressConference.htm

This site mentions that
"The green card and H-1B provisions emerged yesterday in the context of budget reconciliation discussions and are scheduled to get a first formal examination by the Senate Judiciary Committee on October 20, 2005. "

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...2ed1d2a76a6f627d852570930074ed00?OpenDocument

Now, I don't know if there is a formal hearing as such or whether such proposal will be examined\considered to be included in the budget bill that will be debated at a later stage.

Any further insights people? I would say instead of slicing and dicing and predicting, lets wait for two days and see what happens.

Without doubt, the spotlight is on the illegal immigrants\guest worker visa and like kind of issues.

Those bill are more for illegal immigration....which is the major rising problem in this country...

Govt slept so long....and now they are realizing...

Retrogression---will not be discussed....Govt wants me and you to develop more US bonding....and simply work at a very lower wage for years to come.

Way to go USA........

So let us all digest this....and let us party

PD May 2003......

we have to stop supporting BILLS, without knowing their content

today i got a letter from Richard shelby, senator Alabama., he is surprised that i had written to him supporting Mccain and kennedy bill.

I think republicans are strongly opposed to such bills, we have to be careful since in the current situation we support anything where there is a immigration word..

once someone had suggested in one of these forums to support mccain bill, and i sent a letter, but now i realise that the bill as a whole, is totally wrong.

we have to be very diligent when raising our voice in future.

another thing....i am afraid that we may be used by people who know our weakness....for promoting their own purpose....