Company reorg - need expert\'s advice

STAV22

Registered Users (C)
My H1B was sponsored by subsidiary A of XYZ group & later all computer professionals are made part of a new subsidiary B of XYZ group. Current H1B visa on my passport is with subsidiary A name. And the whole green card process has been with subsidiary B. My attorney says as per the INS rules, there is no need of a new H1B or update of existing H1B. He says all I need is a letter from B saying they accept all promises made by A. I am planning to take this letter & employment letter from B to CP interview. Please share your experiences and/or thoughts on this. Thanks.

STAV, not legal advise but just some thoughts...

Is the subsidiary a separate company ? If so, you should have got a new H1B approval (no need to get it stamped but atelast the approval notice).

But in general, since your GC was done completely with B, this should be a problem only if they question the validity of your status on H1, which they may not really try to poke into at interview time (usually done at 140 processing).

Rajesh, A & B are two different companies under group XYZ

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. These two are two different companies under XYZ group. But, only XYZ(the holding company) is traded on the NYSE. Attorney says as it is an internal company reorg, H1B amend is not needed & processes the GC with company B. (These two companies A & B have separate tax-ids). Please let me know, what you think. Thanks.