Claiming Umployment Insurance (NY) in Canada

jixca

Does anyone have experience on this? Let me know if this is more suitable on the tax forum on serbinski.

I worked in NY state on TN for last 2 years, and with job layoff recently. I got another offer but am stuck with visa processing right now while in ON, so since I'm not physically in US I checked with EI Canada and they said I can file directly with the NY state.

Question, how does receiving the benefit impact travel to US in the future? If my US offer doesn't work out I need to go back on B2 and collect my stuff and vacate house, will this have conflict?

Additionally, if I ever apply for another TN or immigration visa/greencard, will this be considered as public charge?

The EI process has no bearing on whether you will be let in or not. You do need to establish with CBP that you are not staying in US, should you not get a new TN.B2 entry after TN is not easy, since typically you have no foreign ties, and LOTS in US, which is contrary to B2 entry permission.
Can I ask why you simply didn't stay in the US until this offer succeeded or failed?

EI is not "public charge".

Well, I received the job offer and left US for Canada so as to re-enter US with a new TN petition. It was denied (as mentioned in https://forums.immigration.com/threads/tn-visa-rejected-what-to-change.338342/#post-2482033) and I wasn't allowed in on B2 that day so I went back in Canada and wait for new employer and lawyers to discuss on next steps.

But with the issue taking its time to process (if I-129 is filed or another border entry) it may be another 4 weeks for the 2nd attempt while I wait in Canada, so I want to know if it's possible to apply for UI so as to cover some of the financial cost of paying rent and other things?